Students to Pay Fares For Shuttle to Airport

By Jal D. Mehta and Malka A. Older

The Undergraduate Council will for the first time charge students to use its shuttle service to Logan Airport this winter break.

The two-dollar cost of the shuttle is necessary due to the council's budget crisis, according to Brendan G. Shackelford '97, representative from Phorzheimer.

"The choices were we don't do the service or we charge a small fee," Shackelford said. "This seemed the lesser of the two evils."

The shuttle, now in its third year of service, stops at Johnston Gate, Currier House on Linnaean St. and Quincy House on Mt. Auburn St.

It takes the shuttle roughly one hour to reach the airport from Johnston Gate, the shuttle's first stop.

The shuttle departs today from Johnston Gate at 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. It departs hourly from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. tomorrow and will leave at 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Wednesday.

Shackelford said the shuttle is particularly valuable during the winter holiday season.

"For Christmas it is especially good because people have several large bags," Shackelford said.

According to Shackelford, there are definite advantages to using the shuttle over other modes of transportation.

"To take a taxi is a considerable expense, and the T requires making three changes," Shackelford said. "It's a big hassle. With our shuttle service it's very convenient."

Students have their last opportunity to buy tickets today from 9 a.m. to midnight in the council's office in the basement of Holworthy Hall.

While tickets are still available for all shuttle times, the most popular times--2, 3, 4 and 5 p.m. tomorrow--are almost sold out, said William C. Fang '97, a council representative from Pforzheimer.

Students who are unable to purchase their tickets today can try to find space on the less-crowded shuttles if they have exactly change.