Bands Set to Battle

By Michael T. Jalkut

With a guaranteed chance to perform before their fellow-undergraduates tonight, and the hope of winning a gig at a popular Cambridge club, campus musicians are gearing up for this evening's Battle of the Bands.

The contest, which is presented by The Crimson and is free to all students, will be held at 8 p.m. in Paine Hall.

Three judges will select the best of the seven undergraduate bands after each plays a 15 minute set. The winner gets a paid gig at T.T. the Bear's club in Central Square on January 7.

"The Battle will give some bands who have only played in Junior Common rooms a chance to perform at a higher level," said organizer Marios V. Broustas '97.

Broustas, who is a Crimson editor, described the band lineup as mostly "rock and funk-oriented."

The judging board consists of Georg S. Dukas '97, the editor-in-chief of the International Review, Undergraduate Council President Robert M. Hyman '96-'97 and Crimson editor Ben J. Lima '98.

Dukas, a guitarist who "has played professionally since age 12," says he plans to reward the band that entertains him the most.

"I like anything that's good," he added. "I'll be looking for technical expertise, how cohesive the band is and flair and creativity."

David R. Capiola '97, the vocalist of competing band Steamship of Beef, said his band "jumps at every opportunity to play" and was looking forward to performing for such a large audience. He also said he was enthusiastic about the prospect of doing a gig off-campus.

"[T.T. the Bear's] would be exciting," he said. "We would be playing in front of a totally new audience.

Chickita is one band in the Battle which already has the visibility offered in the contest and the prize, having played at the Middle East and T.T. the Bear's. Still, they said they are hoping to expand their audience and have some fun.

"I'm looking forward to hearing the other bands play," said Chickita member Funke I. Sangodeyi '97. "We are also doing it to reach new people in the audience that have never heard us before."

She described Chickita's music as "punk rock, but more interesting and heavy with two basses."

An eighth band, Megasnake, will also perform--but a non. Harvard student in their band excludes them from the running for first prize.