White Lights Brighten Harvard Sq.

University Contributes to Annual Holiday Sprucing Up of Area

By Eric M. Nelson

Harvard may or may not have a white Christmas this year, but thanks to the generosity of more than 20 Cambridge businesses, it will definitely have "White Light."

The "White Light Campaign," sponsored by the Harvard Square Business Association (HSBA), has raised funds for the decoration of Harvard Square for the past 10 years.

From Thanksgiving until the middle of January each year, the beat musicians and convenience stores in the Square are joined by four white light banners, containing a total of 4,000 bulbs and 15 dozen balsam wreaths, according to a press release.

According to Kristin Sudholz, executive director of HSBA, the primary support for the White Lights of Harvard Square comes from the "generosity of the City, the University and the businesses large and small."

Harvard is one of the local corporations that finance the decorations, according to Happy H. Green, the University's director of community relations.

Green said Harvard joins in the White Light Campaign out of a sense of community.

"We're part of the Square," she said.

The white light banners that are strung over Square streets were designed in 1985 by artist Ross Miller so that each one would be unique.

"When commissioned to design the banners, the idea was to make each piece different, so no matter where you stood, you would see dif- ferent patterns and lights--like a large drawing in the sky," Miller said in a press release.

One of the main attractions of this year's Square display is the newly restrung "nebula banner," meant to resemble "galactic patch M-51," that now hangs over Mass. Ave. near "Out-of-Town News."

However, these festive and original decorations are by no means cheap.

According to the HSBA release, the hanging and maintenance of the banners alone costs $9,000 annually. The large number of wreaths brings the total to more than $10,000, much of which is funded through the White Light Campaign