Striedters Will Retire As Cabot House Masters At End of Spring Term

By Jal D. Mehta

After eight years as co-masters of Cabot House, Reisinger Professor of Slavic Languages and Literature Jurij Striedter and his wife Emanuela Striedter will leave their posts at the end of the academic year.

Striedter, 70, will retire as a professor at the end of this semester, but said that he wanted to finish the academic year as master so he could present diplomas to graduating seniors.

"I think that professors of this age should open up slots to younger people, said Striedter, also professor of comparative langagues and literature.

"It will also create more time for reading and writing," he added.

The co-masters' primary task has been the development of a community feeling in the historically individualistic Cabot House, according to Jurij Striedter.

Last year, for the first time Cabot House won the Strauss Cup, the award for intramural athletic competition, which measures participation as well as achievement. Emanuela Striedter, 63, helped lead the charge by winning many intramural tennis matches.

Emanuela Striedter's professional-level cuisine will also be missed by residents of Cabot House, according to Allston Burr Senior Tutor Julian P. Chang.

"From the beginning Emanuela impressed everyone with her baking skills, torts, cakes and pies," Chang said.

Faculty dinners have also expanded during the Striedter's tenure.

When they arrived, only 30 or 40 faculty members attended the dinners, whereas the most recent dinner, two weeks ago, drew more than 200.

House musicals have become a fixture in the past three years.

The Striedters said they also emphasized the sophomore class outing, which helped to bring sophomores into the house community.

"It was a strong academic house, but now it is a strong community house," Jurij Striedter said.

Chang said that he thought the Striedters were an integral part of the house community.

"From the beginning they got along very well," Chang said, "Everyone just saw how well they got along with each other, so it made it easier for them to feel comfortable."

The final decision on the appointment of the next house masters will be made by President Neil L. Rudenstine, Dean of Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles and Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68.

Lewis has appointed an advisory group of four people from the house, along with Thomas A. Dingman '67, associate dean of Harvard College for human resources and the house system, to participate in a search for the Striedters' successors.