Crimson Wrong On Alcohol Policy

TO THE EDITORS

We write to address a recent response to an aged and pervasive issue which is now receiving a great deal of attention and which involves not only the administration, but also the students, faculty and staff of Harvard University. Deans Harry R. Lewis '68 and Archie C. Epps, and Director of Athletics William J. Cleary '56-'58 wrote a letter to the heads of undergraduate organizations and captains of sports teams informing us of recent events about which we might be concerned. The authors of the letter referred to two "incidents in which underage students were apparently served large quantities of alcohol by members of an organization or team they had recently joined...." Naturally, they expressed worry about the incidents and urged student leaders to familiarize themselves with University policies regarding the serving of alcohol.

Yes, it is important to be familiar with these policies, but it also important to be familiar with the risks which directly affect the health of students in general. The Crimson's staff editorial "A Call for Moderation" (Nov. 1, 1995) attempted to address this issue while echoing the sentiments of the administration that students "look out for each other to make sure that their peers do not drink too much." And although The Crimson staff gave the impression of caring about their fellow students' welfare, their misrepresentation of the situation compounded with their nebulous language left a lot of questions unanswered. For instance, the question remains, what is "too much?" Furthermore, how do one's peers know how much is "too much" when they are not the ones suffering the effects of the alcohol and/or drugs. In light of recent (and yes, not-so-recent) events, "too much" is a very nebulous phrase.

Is there a set of characteristics which surface when one has reached the "too much" level? Or, more importantly, do people know what those characteristics are? Even most importantly, do people know where to find the answers to questions about heavy alcohol and drug use? There is an element of risk involved where alcohol and drugs are concerned. But it takes education to accurately assess that risk. There is a lot to know about alcohol and other drugs, from how to make a screwdriver to how to get a roommate who has lost all control from the Quad to the University Health Services (UHS), with all the potential risks of heavy drinking sitting in between. The Crimson's article "Officials Issue Drinking Menu" (news story, Oct. 23, 1995) quoted one student's response to the Dean's letter as "what may happen is, people won't go by the rules when a serious situation comes up, they may completely avoid going to UHS just so they can avoid disciplinary action." UHS provides completely confidential help and has no part in discipline of students admitted with acute alcohol intoxication or other toxic drug effects. By not bringing a student in need of help to UHS, the only thing that students are avoiding is the reality of how serious the situation may be.

Knowing what to do can often be the most effective way of helping a friend, next to knowing how to assist a friend in getting that help. The deans feel that "all that may be needed to prevent serious injury to someone is for you to say 'Don't,' 'Let's stop' or 'Let's not.'" In addition to this suggestion, students who are concerned about other students, or about themselves, should learn the actual risks which will enable them to make well-informed decisions.

The Office of Health Education, a branch of UHS, offers information and resources for students and staff who have questions related to alcohol and other drugs. Project ADD, a peer-education group dedicated to informing the Harvard community about the risks of drugs and alcohol, is available to students who wish to speak to peers about this sensitive and important health issue. The Bureau of Study Counsel is eager to help students with concerns on any topic. The entire community is, in one way or another, affected by alcohol and drug use. It is not just the administration who is concerned about this issue. Students share this concern and what we feel will really help is a concerted effort to educate and be educated. Beyond that, the decision is as it should be--in the hands of the individual. --Jennifer N. Charat '97   'art Hilles '96   Co-Directors, Project ADD   (Alcohol and Drug Dialogue)