Panelist's Talk Draws Criticism

Proposal Would Privatize Housing

By C.r. Mcfadden

A panelist's proposal to privatize American low-income housing projects touched off a spirited debate during a Harvard Law School symposium Saturday afternoon.

About 120 people attended the forum, entitled "Rethinking Housing in America," which was the third in a series of five discussions sponsored by the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review.

Chicago Housing Authority Chairman Vincent Lane told audience members that privatization would lead to increased investment by businesses and better management of funds by housing authority managers, James Siegal, editor of the review said yesterday.

"[Lane] felt it would alleviate the stigma associated with public housing and their designation as communities of poverty," Siegal said.

Other panelists representing civil liberties and tenant groups expressed sharp disagreement with Lane's proposal. They said it would not be in the best interests of tenants.

"When you only look to make a profit, you forget about being compassionate," Barbara Sard, managing attorney of Greater Boston Legal Services said.

Sard said she thought Republican members of Congress would introduce privatization proposals but that their chances of passage were uncertain.

"They think business can cure everything," Sard said."But [privatization] is not inevitable."

Saturday's discussion was moderated by William C. Apgar, lecturer in policy at the John F.Kennedy School of Government. Participants included nine local symposium fellows and four national housing experts.

The next panel, which will focus on welfare form, is slated for March 11.

"We think that will be the biggest event of the year," Seigal said.