Students Given $25 In Meals For Guests

Beginning this week students can choose to bring a friend to dinner---twice.

Director of Harvard Dining Services (HDS) Michael P. Berry said yesterday that dining services has credited students' accounts with $25 toward guest meals at any undergraduate dining hall.

Berry said the action was the result of a student survey conducted last spring.

"We identified about 20 changes in the undergraduate board program and asked people to prioritize them," he said. "We ended up doing every single one of them but the number one was that they wanted guest meals."

Among the other additions implemented by HDS are more low-fat entrees, longer house, more-self service, increased box lunch choices, student choice meals, more ethnic foods, culinary displays and a student food committee.

The guest meal option, which was announced in a mailing this week, allows students to swipe their student ID cards to pay for their guests' meals. Meal prices are currently $5 for breakfast, $7 for lunch and $9 for dinner.

Berry says he is working on a plan which would allow students to use up to $100 on their meal plan to dine at the Science Center's Greenhouse Cafe or at theMemorial Hall Commons.

"As of next year I believe [dining at the GreenHouse] would be possible," Berry said. "We have aproposal out there, which I think has beenaccepted by the Masters, which said we could put$100 on your account so that you could use it toget out of the house and eat at the new MemorialHall or at the Greenhouse.