TPC Disregards Customers' Needs

TO THE EDITORS

As I write this letter, Harvard's Technology Product Center has yet to provide me a replacement or a refund for a defective computer part I bought last August. I tell this story to pass on some things I've learned about dealing with TPC and Technical Services--but also to ask "can you top this."

I'm a historian, here on a year's research fellowship. When I arrived at the end of August, I bought a Macintosh Performa 475 package, with ethernet card installed, and an Apple Laser Writer. I soon discovered that my computer's screen would often freeze up after a printing job. Then I would have to switch off the machine and reboot.

Consulting by phone with Microsoft, Apple, and Harvard' Technical Services, I reloaded everything: the Mac package, Word, the LaserWriter installation, even new system disks that Apple sent me, But the problem kept reappearing.

When I took my computer to Tech Services for repair, the initial response was discouraging: someone said he wished TPC didn't sell those troublesome Performas!

Over the next three weeks (by then it was October), Tech Services seemingly tried everything. They even rewired my computer's system board. After that, the progress reports ended. when the Tech manager didn't return my calls, I had to go inquire in person. The manager came out and told me that the problem still persisted. "Are you telling me you can't fix it." I asked "Yes, he smiled.

At my insistence, the Tech manager backed me up when I stepped across the hall to the TPC counter and demanded a new computer: he explained to the TPC guy that they had been unable to fix my machine. I added that I wanted a new one delivered to my office within tow days. The TPC guy was outraged: they didn't do personal deliveries. Luckily, I was able to speak directly with TPC's Distribution Manager, who saw to it that a new computer was delivered.

The new machine worked fine, but then I discovered that TPC had not duplicated my original purchase order: they had forgotten to install an ethernet card. It took another week of phone calls to get one. Then, when I went to print, the screen froze up! I popped out the card and everything was OK: so the card had been the culprit all along. It had been wholly unnecessary for TPC to give me a new computer . And my original machine's ' three weeks at Tech Services had been a total waste of time: they completely rebuilt it but never thought to test it without the Farallon "Ether Mac" card. Two different copies of this card have proven incompatible with my two Performas, a computer model for which it is designated.

Over two months ago, I made it abundantly clear to a TPC rep that I wanted either a care with no bad side effects or to exchange the (second) one they gave me for the $80 I paid for it. But they haven't returned my calls or my money. Apparently, TPC's monopoly on computer sales promotes lackadaisical customer service . I have found that , to get any action, I have had to apply constant pressure--a drain of time and energy during my year at Harvard. Steven G. Alter   Fellow, Charles Warren Center for Studies in American History