Lewis' Task Starts Soon, Dean Says

By Douglas M. Pravda

Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles confirmed that newly appointed Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 may begin work on some of the recommendations made in the Report on the Structure of Harvard College, which he co-authored.

Knowles said Lewis may begin to work on two of the report's recommendations concerning public service at Harvard: that a standing faculty student committee be created to over see public service and that the current two-tiered public service structure be consolidated under a single assistant dean for public service.

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 will announce the appointment of a search committee charged with filling the new position of Assistant Dean of Harvard College for Public Service and Director of the Phillips Brooks House, Knowles said.

"The search committee will be appointed, I hope, in a week or two," he added.

The recommendation was one of a variety of organizational changes to the current College bureaucracy suggested in the Report on the Structure of Harvard College.

The report also recommended restructuring the position of Dean of the College--the position Lewis himself was selected to occupy on Wednesday.

Knowles said that some of the recommendations will be put into place this semester--even though Lewis will not assume his new post until July 1.

Knowles also said that he will meet informally with Lewis this semester. These meetings, Knowles said, will be held "to discuss what we should be thinking abxout, looking ahead for next year."