No Guarantees In This `Wild, Wacky ECAC' Race

ECAC HOCKEY

By Bradford E. Miller

Although all Cambridge eyes are focused on Bright Hockey Center this weekend, the other ECAC battles around the Northeast should provide as much drama as the daytime soaps.

In fact, three other heated battles will take place this weekend in Potsdam, N.Y., Providence, R.I., and Hamilton, N.Y.

Take your pick: each of them should spark heated matchups, and should you find yourself outside Massachusetts state lines (heaven for bid)...here's what to expect:

No. 9 Cornell at No.1 Clarkson

Cornell gets the unlucky task of trekking up to the frozen tundra of Potsdam, N.Y., after knocking off St. Lawrence Tuesday night, 6-2. The Big Red spoiled what could have been the cross-town rivalry, but Cornell is blazing hot and hopes to continue its winning ways against top-seeded Clarkson.

Cornell's best chance is to keep the games close and hope its goaltending will carry it through. The Big Red's big guns are Mike Sancimino (8 goals-17 assists-25 points), coming off a three goal-three assist weekend, and Jake Karam (14-14-28).

The Big Red's netminders have been as `big-game' as any, with freshman Jason Elliott leading the way through most of the season while senior Eddy Skazyk has come on strong of late.

Skazyk "stood on his ear" according to Clarkson coach Mark Morris against the Golden Knights two weeks ago, a 2-1 Cornell win. Playoff experience might give the nod to the senior this weekend, but don't be surprised if Elliott gets an early call.

As for Clarkson, the pre-season favorite finally lived up to expectations with a late-season run, and deservedly has taken home this year's first automatic NCAA tournament bid for the ECAC.

Clarkson's high-scoring punch leaves most opponents in the dust, averaging over five goals a game in the league this year. Lamp-lighters like Marko Tuomainen (20 goals-31 assists-51 points), Patrice Robitaille (25-21-46) and Claude Morin (13-33-46) are counted on to find the net.

In goal, freshman Dan Murphy has been solid and steady, continuing in the mold of this year's strong rookie talent in net. "I can't believe he hasn't gotten more recognition for what he's been doing," Morris said. Biased? Perhaps. But the top-seeded team should have more than enough to advance to Lake Placid.

No. 7 Princeton at No. 2 Brown

For Princeton, its proximity to Great Adventure only begins to describe the roller coaster ride the Tigers have been on. From dumping then-undefeated and still-top-ranked Maine to losing at Dartmouth last weekend, the road has been bumpy.

But Tuesday's win against Union has sent the Tigers prodding towards Providence, in an attempt to regain its stifling defense.

The defense has still shut down the league's elite recently, but Princeton will look towards scorers such as Jonathan Kelly (19-13-32) and J.P. O'Connor (6-22-28) to silence the rowdy Bear crowd. James Konte's own ups and downs in net also will hold the key, as Princeton's anemic 15 percent power play placed it last in the league.

Brown, on the other hand, was about as consistent as they come in the ECAC, holding on to the top spot until the final weekend. The Bears are led by Ryan Mulhern (17-16-33) and Brian Jardine (9-21-30) on offense, while another Mr. Consistency, junior Mike Parsons, turns away shots between the pipes.

Brown's rise has been somewhat of a mystery in the league, as the Bears' only presence in the top three of any category is in penalty minutes. But its consistency has been the exception to the rule in the "wacky, wild ECAC," according to Harvard coach Ronn Tomassoni, and also should propel the Bears to Lake Placid.

No. 5 Vermont at No. 4 Colgate

The closest matchup appears to be in Hamilton, N.Y., where the youth of the ECAC will square off. Vermont and Colgate provide some of the youngest, fastest, and most prolific scoring in the league. The two should provide quite a treat for those who choose to enter the ECAC's version of a monastery, Starr Rink.

Vermont is headed by the league's scoring co-champions, Martin St. Louis (22-44-66) and Eric Perrin (26-37-63), and although no one might be able to understand the French duo, they let their stickwork do the talking. St. Louis currently leads the country in scoring, and the Catamounts are equally talented at the other end of the ice.

Sophomore Tim Thomas took home this year's goaltending's crown, and is riding a red-hot streak. In his last twelve games, Thomas has three shutouts and a save percentage of .949. His 638 saves easily led the league, but his teammates will have to break out of their scoring slump to take the league's most loyal fans any further.

As for Colgate, sophomore Mike Harder has expanded on his freshman success, providing 19 goals and 32 assists for 52 Red Raider points. Earl Cronin (18-19-37) and Ron Fogarty (15-21-36) helped the league's second-most potent offense, while another rookie goalie, Dan Brenzavich, has come up big at times. Whether he can hold up to the playoff grind or not is another question for the freshman to answer.

Whether at home or abroad, this weekend's action should produce as much excitement--if not infinitely more--as in past years, and with this season's unpredictability, the playoffs are bound to produce similar results.

CLARKSON

Head Coach: Mark Morrls, 7th season

Captain(s): Brian Mueller, P. Robitaille

1994-95 Record: 20-8-4 Overall, 14-5-3 ECAC (1st Place)

ECAC Tournament Titles: 5

BROWN

Head Coach: Bob Gaudet, 7th season

Captain(s): Mike Traggio

1994-95 Record: 14-10-3 Overall, 13-7-2 ECAC (2nd Place)

ECAC Tournament Titles: 1

COLGATE

Head Coach: Don Vaughan, 3rd season

Captain(s): Ron Fogarty

1994-95 Record: 18-13-1 Overall, 12-9-1 ECAC (4th Place)

ECAC Tournament Titles: 1

CORNELL

Head Coach:Brian McCutcheon, season

Captain (s):Karam, McManus, Chartrand

1994-95 record: 11-13-4 Overall, 8-10-4 ECAC (9th Place)

ECAC Tournament Titles: 7

PRINCETON

Head Coach:Don Cahoon, 4th season

Captain (s): an Sharp, D, Scowby

1994-95 Record: 15-11-4 Overall, 9-10-3 ECAC (7th Place)

ECAC Tournament Titles: 0

VERMONT

Head Coach: Mike Gilligan, 11th season

Captain(s): Jason Williams

1994-95 Record: 18-12-2 Overall, 11-9-2 ECAC (5th Place)

ECAC Tournament Titles: 0