Race Is on for Job of New Top Cop

By Joe Mathews

Applications for the job aren't due for another month, but there is already serious speculation inside and outside the Harvard police department over possible successors to retiring chief Paul E. Johnson.

Members of the University committee searching for the New chief say they have not yet begun to consider specific candidates. The committee is expected to make a recommendation to Vice President and General counsel Margaret H. Marshall sometime during the next several months.

Neither Marshall nor search committee members expressed a clear preference between inside and outside candidates.

The early speculation of Harvard police and security officials, a dozen of whom agreed to be interviewed last week on the condition of anonymity, has centered on Calvin J. Kantor, who may represent a happy medium between insider and outsider.

Kantor is a longtime Cambridge police lieutenant who took over management of the University security guard unit on February 6. He is likely to be one of several leading candidates to be chief, according to several sources.

And if the search drags into the summer, Kantor--not Harvard Police Lt. Lawrence J. Murphy, who has served as acting chief in the past--would be the most likely interim replacement for the retiring Paul E. Johnson, officers say.

"I think that would make a lot of sense," said one veteran officer, who insisted on anonymity." Cal has experience, and he's a steady hand."

Kantor, 57, retired from the position of superintendent of the Cambridge police force in December 1992. He was also executive assistant to former Cambridge Police Commissioner Anthony Paolillo and current city top cop Perry L. Anderson.

"When he worked in Cambridge, he was well recognized by the officers and well-respected," Cambridge Police Lt. Det. Frank Pasquarello said last month. "If any guy is going to be able to bring people together, it will be Kantor."

But Kantor told The Crimson last week that he does not want to be 3 CHIEF