U.C. Okays Shuttle Buses From Boston

By Victoria E.M. Cain

Harvard students will soon be able to go clubbing in Boston without emptying their wallets for late-night taxi fares.

At last night's Undergraduate Council meeting, the council appropriated $2,500 for free shuttles to run between Boston and Harvard Square after the T closes on weekend nights.

The council also passed measures including recommendations to the Faculty of Arts and Science (FAS) about teaching fellows, term bills and the Committee on Undergraduate Education, a council sponsored "Skating Night" at Bright Hockey Rink and postering of newspaper circulation hot-line numbers.

Members responded most enthusiastically to the council's upcoming shuttle service, which will begin this coming weekend and run until reading period, with the exception of the weekends over spring break.

Students will be able to catch the shuttle on Friday and Saturday nights, at 12:45, 1:30 and 2:30 a.m., and ride for free from Boston's Kenmore Square to Johnston Gate, Quincy House or the Quad.

"We chose Kenmore Square because it's nearest to most things in Boston that are open past when the T closes," said the proposal's co-sponsor Bradford E. Miller '97, who is a Crimson editor. "Clubs, bars, that sort of thing."

Shuttle service will be conducted on a trial basis this spring and, if successful, may become permanent.

While there are concerns about the amount of money a year-round shuttle service would require--a hefty $8,000 to $10,000 per year--some council members are hopeful about its future.

"I think that it will work on one condition--if UC members take an active stance in promoting it," said Jason E.Schmitt '98. "but if it does happen, it will be asmashing success."

The council also passed three recommendationsto the FAS administration at last night's meeting.The first, sponsored by Elizabeth A. Haynes '98,urged a rule requiring course TFs to attend courselectures.

Marco B. Simons '97 proposed the second, whichoutlined the violations of the current structureof the Committee on Undergraduate Education,namely the alleged unequal ratio of voting facultyto voting students.

The resolution subsequently requested a letterof Dean Lawrence Buell urging that the balance offive voting faculty to five voting students berestored immediately. The bill was passedunanimously without debate.

Simons also proposed that the term bill'sUndergraduate Council fee be open to changewithout faculty permission, if it received amajority vote in a student referendum. Accordingto the council's bylaws, the referendum would onlybe active if there were at least a 50 percentstudent turnout.

A council sponsored "skating night" this comingSaturday (from 7-9 at Bright Hockey Center) wasalso passed. Skates will be provided for up toeighty students, who can whirl around the rink tomusic at no charge.

At the end of the meeting, Randall A. Fine '96brought up the issue of newspaper circulationcomplaints, resulting in a $25 appropriation forthe Student Affairs Committee to poster the campuswith newspaper delivery complaint hotline numbers.CrimsonSteven YangUndergraduate Council representatives JASONE. SCHMITT '98 and BRADFORD E. MILLER '97 discussa proposal to sponsor shuttle buses that will runbetween Harvard and Kenmore weekend nights.