Freshman Tseng: A Lot of Tennis Ahead

Second Singles Starter Philip Tseng Has Immediate Impact on Men's Tennis Team

By Eric R. French

The Harvard men's tennis team seems to be in good shape--at least for another four years. This optimistic prognosis can be confidently made because this year the Crimson welcomed freshman Philip Tseng, the fifteenth best boys' 18-under player in the United States.

Tseng is currently anchored in the number two spot for Harvard and from all accounts it appears he will only get better.

It seems that Tseng started with tennis not long after he learned to do such things as walk and talk. He began to hit tennis balls around age four, and started to compete in tournaments when he was seven.

His interest in tennis was first piqued by his parents. However, unlike such fallen angels as Jennifer Capriati, his parent's encouragement has only had a positive effect on his life.

"They thought that it was a good sport to develop character," Tseng says. "It was also a good chance to meet people. It was a social extracurricular."

Tseng praised the individual responsibility of tennis as one of its character-building traits. "When you're out there, it's just you and your opponent," Tseng says. "If you lose it is your fault and you have to learn to accept the responsibility."

Tseng attended Harvard-Westlake High School in Los Angeles and was the tennis team's number one player for four years.

In those four years, he always finished in the top three in his section in individual competition. Moreover, in his senior season he was elected team captain.

Throughout high school, Tseng competed in junior tournaments outside of his high school.

As both a 16-year-old and an 18-year-old he ranked in the top two in his age group in Southern California. And to top off his junior career, in his last season of junior tournament play, Tseng ranked number 15 in the nation in the boys 18-under division.

Tseng has also competed on the U.S. National Development Team, a squad that toured internationally. While on that team, he sharpened his game by playing against the best players from around the world.

Although at Harvard Tseng is no longer allowed to compete in individual tournaments, he greatly enjoys intercollegiate tennis and his number two position on the Harvard team.

"College tennis is a new experience," Tseng says. "The team aspect is different. Everything is a team effort, and there is a real sense of camraderie."

Tseng wholeheartedly welcomes this change of atmosphere and environment.

"I played (mainly) individually for 12 years," Tseng says. "I was starting to kind of burn out. Collegiate tennis is a welcome change."

While Tseng is only a freshman, he tries to contribute to the team off the court as well.

"I believe with all of my experience I have a lot to offer the team," Tseng says. "But I am only a freshman so there is a limit to my contribution."

Furthermore, Tseng's contribution to the Crimson has been welcomed.

Coach Dave Fish speaks highly of the Tseng's play, while also praising his style.

"He has an upbeat, refreshing, new style," Fish says, "And he really is a happy, go-lucky guy."

Fish also enjoys the enthusiasm that Tseng brings to the team meetings.

On the court, Fish considers a low center of gravity one of Tseng's strongest attributes. The low center of gravity allows Tseng to move well on the court and chase down a lot of balls.

While Tseng agrees in a general sense, he thinks that his strongest specific attributes are his aggressiveness and speed.

Despite all of his strong points, Tseng constantly tries to improve. Although Tseng considers himself an all-court player--meaning that he can play both at the net and at the baseline--he is currently trying to work on his net game. He feels that this will especially help him in doubles play.

Tseng is still trying to decide whether to pursue tennis beyond Harvard.

"I'm not thinking that far ahead right now," Tseng says. "However, I do want to leave my future options open."

Tseng's focus on the present suits his team just fine. With his talent, motivation and spirit, he should be able to help ensure a few very good years ahead for the tennis team.