Administrators Will Hear Loker Concerns

Responding to Student Complaints, Officials Set Date for April Discussion

By Marios V. Broustas

In response to concerns and criticism from members of the Under-graduate Council and other students, Harvard administrators have set a date to discuss suggestions for the new Loker Commons.

The discussion will take place during the meeting of Harvard's Committee on College Life (COCL) on April 7, according to Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III.

In an interview yesterday, Epps said the best way to discuss specific recommendations for the Commons is through interaction at a meeting where everyone involved in and concerned about the project is present.

"What's happening now is that people are talking past each other rather than trying to understand each other," Epps said. "[I want to] move away from debate to a dialogue."

Epps said he plans to attend the meeting which will be chaired by Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57.

Members of the COCL, the Committee on House Life, Director of Dining Services Michael P. Berry and Memorial Lowell Complex Director Eric C. Engel, who is in charge of the renovation project, are scheduled to attend the April 7 meeting.

Plans for the new Locker Common came under fire last week from members of the Undergraduate Council, who charged that students' concerns were overlooked by the committee in charge of the project.

Rudd W. Coffey `97, the chair of the council's Committee on College Life, has been one of the most outspoken critics of the project. In the past two weeks, Coffey has repeatedly charged that students were getting "screwed" by the project directors.

"Dean Epps seemed really impassioned about taking these things he's hearing and putting them on the table," said Coffey, who will also attend the meeting.

But Coffey said he is worried that the April 7 meeting will not adequately represent students' concerns.

"There were some larger issues students never got a chance to decide," he said. "I want students to be aware of the plans that have been made."

Coffey said he is specifically concerned with the open hours of the Commons and of the establishments housed within it.

Engel initially intended to close the Commons at 1 a.m., but Coffey asked that they remain open for 24 hours. Coffey also requested that the coffee shop and the pizza parlor keep slightly longer hours than originally scheduled.

Coffey said that although Berry was open to the idea of increased hours, Engel was not receptive to Coffey's proposal.

"[The dining services] were really flexible, so I'm not concerned about the restaurants," said Coffey. "[Engel] hasn't been open about rethinking [hisdecision]."

Coffey said he is also concerned with thepossible uses of the commons. Specifically, hehopes that the space will be used for dances andother undergraduate activities.

But Epps said he preferred to wait for themeeting to discuss any specific concerns.

"[The Commons] is an important social centerand that means that we have to build flexibilityin the way its planned," Epps said.

Sarah J. Schaffer contributed to thereporting of this article.