Leahy Charged With Six Counts For Bank Heist

Smith Remains in Critical Condition

A Charlestown man was ordered held without bail in Cambridge District Court yesterday in connection with an armored-car robbery attempt and shoot out in Harvard Square Wednesday.

Keith A. Leahy, 25, faces six charges, including assault with intent to murder and armed robbery while masked. If convicted, he faces life imprisonment.

Another suspect, Brendon F. Smith, 24, also of Charlestown, remained in critical condition in the intensive-care unit of Beth Israel Hospital. He was shot in the head and arm by a Brinks armored-car guard in the lunchtime exchange of gunfire.

Meanwhile, FBI agents and state, city and Harvard police continued to comb Charlestown and South Boston in a massive hunt for a third suspect, who escaped.

Leahy and Smith threatened the life of an armored-car guard as he made a cash delivery to the Bank of Boston branch on Mass. Ave. and attempted to flee with one of 10 sacks of cash the guard had wheeled into the bank's foyer, police say.

The two men were injured in the ensuing shoot out, in which more than six rounds of ammunition were fired. Bleeding, they climbed into a getaway vehicle and attempted to drive off before they rear-ended a parked car and were arrested.

The third suspect, who may have been the getaway car driver, sprinted away, police said. He may have been injured in the shoulder, according to authorities.

Police recovered a fully loaded Smith & Wesson 9-millimeter gun, a Smith & Wesson. 357 magnum and a semi-automatic Tech 9.

Authorities also recovered the stolen sack of cash, which contained $281,000, from the back seat of the car, prosecutor Adrienne C. Lynch, the Middlesex assistant district attorney, told the Associated Press.

Leahy was released from Beth Israel yesterday morning after being treatedovernight for gunshot wounds to the back. He wastaken by police to Cambridge District Court andwas arraigned.

Along with assault and armed robbery, Leahyfaces charges of discharging a weapon within 500feet of a building, possession of a firearmwithout a permit, larceny of a motor vehicle andwearing body armor while committing a felony.

Smith remained in critical condition in BethIsrael following a 10-hour operation Wednesday.Hospital spokesperson Anthony Lloyd told reportersWednesday that Smith underwent neurosurgery. Smithwas shot in the head and arm.

Smith has not yet been arraigned, because asuspect must be physically present to facecharges, said John P. Towle, spokesperson for theMiddlesex District Attorney's office.

The Brinks guard was identified by WBZ-TV andthe AP as William Crowley, 26, of Marshfield.

Crowley worked as a Washington, D.C., policeofficer from 1990 to 1993, the AP reported.