Feast Ends Ramadan

Muslim Students Celebrate Holiday

By A. OMIYINKA Doris

Muslim students met yesterday to pray and eat together to celebrate the end of Ramadan, the ninth lunar month of the Islamic calendar in which Muslims fast for 29 or 30 days from sunrise to sunset.

This Wednesday marked the end of Ramadan and the beginning of Eid-ul-fitr, a three-day celebration after the fast. About 50 students gathered in the basement of Canaday to celebrate the holiday together and discuss religious issues.

The month of fasting is one of the most important times in a Muslim's life, according to Mohammed N. Khan '96, president of the Harvard Islamic Society.

"Ramadan is a month of intensification, a month of fasting, a month of strengthening," he said.

Ramadan is the time when Muslims are, "trying to focus on [their] spiritual relationship with God," said Aasma A. Khandekar '96, secretary of the Islamic Society.

Afnan K. Kundi, a student at the Law School, said that "it's the best spiritual experience we can have, and it will have a great impact on us for the rest of the year."

Fasting does take a physical toll, however, according to Abbas A. Hyderi '96.

But he says "You get used to it physically, and mentally it is very enlightening and uplifting-not taxing."

"When you're not eating, you're thinking about your relationship with God, society and personal matters," he added.

The month of fasting is also a time of unity for the Muslim community, according to Hyderi. "It's a time when the community gets together and people are more willing and active in terms of a voice."

The number of people who attend the prayers has risen steadily, Khan said.

"This community is growing," he said. "Last year, 40 people attended Ramadan prayers and this year 60 people have attended."

Khan said the growth in the Muslim communityshould be recognized by University administratorsand faculty.

"It's hard to explain to professors thatstudents want to postpone exams, and someunderstanding on the part of professors would behelpful," Khan said.

The Harvard Islamic Society has discussed theseissues with University administrators, accordingto Khan. "The University seems to be supportive,but we want every professor to know that Eid areon these days."

But some members of the University have noticedthese days of intense prayer, according to AloulouM. Fayez, a graduate student at the Kennedy Schoolof Government.

"Two students were looking through the windowswhile 20 Muslims prayed at 4 a.m. and theycouldn't understand," he said. "[They should know]this is what we're observing.