Take Back The Bright!

By Bradford E. Miller, Miller Time!

How many times have you heard the saying "the loss was actually a win?" Clarkson  5 Harvard  4

For the Harvard men's hockey team, those words have been uttered many times this season.

But on Saturday night, it seemed without a doubt that those words rang true. Not just because of the way the team played, but more because of the plain truth that Harvard had reclaimed its home-ice advantage.

Even in defeat.

Those of you who witnessed the Crimson split a home series against St. Lawrence and Clarkson this past weekend might chalk it up as another example of Harvard's mediocrity this year.

And why not? Harvard's play at home this year has left a lot to be desired. But Saturday night's 5-4 loss against Clarkson was without a doubt the best game of the year, for both players, spectators, and most importantly, the building in which the game took place--Bright Hockey Center.

On the surface, one might be a bit disappointed at a Harvard loss against the only ranked ECAC team in the country (Clarkson again pulled in at number-10 in last week's Troy Record poll).

But on one hand--and perhaps less important for those hopelessly involved with Harvard hockey--that was just one heck of a game.

Excitement abounded:

Twenty-one power-play opportunities were handed out to the two squads, six of which were cashed in. Less than half the game was spent on even strength.

Poor for the flow of the match, but oh what drama! There were 118 attempted shots by the two teams!

But much more importantly, for both the fans and the players, Bright is back.

For the first time this year, the Crimson skated into its home arena and played as if it belonged there.

"People were asking if we preferred to be on the road for the playoffs. Absolutely not, of course not," coach Ronn Tomassoni said.

The excitement was back, the fans were back, and after a hiatus, the sometimes overcritical Crimson students rallied behind their warriors.

The attendance Saturday night: 3,195. It was better than many in recent times, and it felt a lot louder.

And for once, the players seemed to feed off the energy instead of feeling the pressure of the watching eyes.

"We have begun to play the hockey we've been searching for all season long," Tomassoni said. "I think we've got the excitement back. Absolutely."

"I think the important thing this weekend was we made Bright Arena our rink," captain Ben Coughlin said. "Throughout the season it really hasn't been. We haven't played as emotional as we need to play [against visitors]."

So fans of Harvard hockey have seen both the Jekyll and Hyde of Harvard at Bright Hockey Center. Who knows which one will show up?

"No doubt they'll be right back in the thick of things and end up in Lake Placid in the championship game," Clarkson coach Mark Morris said.

Contrast that with Tomassoni's "We're not as talented as people think we are" from one week ago, and one has a dilemma.

Maybe the loss to Union has finally set the team straight.

And in a building that has gotten back the magic, at least Harvard knows it can now win, even if it takes a loss to prove it.