'Senior Bars' Endure

Officials Condemn Nightly Drinking

By Marios V. Broustas

With graduation less than two months away, a group of seniors calling themselves "The Resistance" have armed themselves with beer cans and a catchy slogan--"A day without a buzz is a day that never was"--in hopes of re-kindling class spirit.

The organizers of the underground group have distributed handouts on campus which include a tongue-and-cheek statement of purpose and a social calendar for the month of March.

The calendar mentions the group's meeting places during the week, which include local Square bars and weekend parties in senior's rooms.

The handout promises similar calenders for April, May and June. But it warns: "We do not want this schedule to fall into the wrong hands. Remember, loose lips get bloodied."

In the handout, organizers ask for "volunteers" to "offer their domiciles as imbibing bunkers."

Reached in their rooms last night, the organizers declined to comment.

College administrators said that groups such as "The Resistance," which have existed in the past, are detrimental to the senior class spirit.

"We've asked them in the past not to have [parties] in their rooms," said Sarah E. Flatley, assistant dean of students, who was not aware of "The Resistance."

"I think [the Class Committee has] tried to be very reasonable and put together events that different kinds of students would be interested in," said Flatley, adding that this group detracts from the class committee's efforts.

Associate Director for Classes and Reunions Diane Jellis, who helps organize class day activities, said she warns the class marshals against participating in groups like "The Resistance."

"I know it has been around in the past," she said. "When I work with the graduating senior committee class, I tell them that it is not some- thing I am interested in getting involved in."

First Marshall James N. Miller '95-96 said hehad no comment on "The Resistance" or the SeniorBar, but did say he would continue to helporganize informal activiteis.

"Our purose as marshalls and as clas commiteeis to bring the class together," he said. "We'vetried to help organize any informal gatherings ofseniros that we could, and any informal eventsthat we've had to do with have only complemetnedteh officail events that we've planned throughoutthe year, and they in no way compete with eachother."

In 1991, there were roughly ten similar seniorevents, according to Nadia Shalaby, the BeverageAuthorization Team (B.A.T.) coordinator, and aKirkland house tutor.

Shalaby said she worked for the B.A.T. team atseveral such events four years ago.

"They were basically events held at certainhouses where only seniors were admitted," saidShalaby. "The B.A.T. team... would do their job,make sure they had legal I.D.s and serve themdrinks."

But Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III recallsthat in the past underground drinking groups havebeen problematic.

"I know that we've expressed concerns about thesenior bars and there is a specific policy aboutit," said Epps.

Last night, however, Epps Flatley and Ellis didnot recall any policy pertaining to such groups.

Houses have individual policies concerningprivate and public parties, depending on thepersonal opinions of each house master, accordingto Shalaby