Lat Panders To Liberals

TO THE EDITORS

Not to besmirch any of your other fine journalists, but we must openly denounce both David B. Lat individually and The Crimson in general for some very wrong-headed editorial judgement. We were appalled at the BGLAD editorial ("A New Way To Love," column, April 4, 1995) by Mr. Lat from whom we have come to expect hard-nosed, objective reportage, free of the liberal bias plaguing the majority of his colleagues. In one stroke Lat betrayed his formerly clear-minded and salient perspective. If this is some kind of joke, it is a rude and tasteless affront to common decency and the last bastions of morality at the College. Lat should leave these sorts of "jokes" to his liberal colleagues.

We are surprised and dismayed that Lat was distracted from the national treasures and heady atmosphere of London--the land our ancestors call home--by the approach of the dubious BGLAD week. And while we are hardly literary scholars, we cannot help but refute his advocacy of the literary significance of lesbians. Gertrude Stein, Dorothy Allison and Adrienne Rich are not good writers. Perhaps Mr. Lat thinks that with this new attitude he can curry favor with The Crimson's liberal readership. Think again, Lat! Waffling of this sort, or "Pulling a Clinton," will only serve to alienate those of us who felt that in him we had a rare ally. Lat, we hardly knew ye. Javier B. Garcia-Torres '96   Catherine S. Corman '96   David M. Sollors '96