Seniors Should Drink As Desired

TO THE EDITORS

We would like to take issue the The Crimson's presentation of the story, " Senior Bars' Endure" (news story, Apr. 11,1995). The article seemed to imply that the desire of students to assemble in large groups and drink is to be scorned. We disagree.

The days until graduation are swiftly flying by, rendering us desperate to snatch any last remnants to fun from Harvard and its environs. The Resistance welcome all seniors who wish to share the spirit of collegiality, so elusive at Harvard, with their classmates. The sheer diversity of the membership of The Resistance, in fact, is to be admired. Student, to an extent separated by their academic and extracurricular interests during their four years at Harvard, are brought together by the mere fact of their membership in the Class of '95.

As we are deprived of any sort of student center here at Harvard, we are forced to utilize local bars and senior rooms as our convention centers. The point of Senior Bars is not necessarily to get drunk (though, as legal adults, that is our right)--it is to experience the pleasure inherent in hanging out with 100 or 200 of four closes friends. Far from being "detrimental to senior class spirit," Senior Bars represent the sole means through which we can gather together to chill and reminisce during the dwindling twilight of senior spring.

Furthermore, at most events planned by the Class Committee--including the Senior Soiree, the Reunion at the Union, the Moonlight Cruise and the Last Chance Dance--seniors will be served alcohol. The seniors who choose to attend those vents do so for the purpose of coming together as a class to celebrate and drink, if they so desire--just as they do at senior bars. It is therefore hypocritical to critize Senior Bars but not the aforementioned "official" senior events.

That The Crimson chose to focus upon a certain group and condemn its behaviors as deviant seems to us to be rather arbitrary and, quite frankly, elitist. Students at Harvard choose to organize themselves in a myriad of different ways' The Crimson disputes few of them. Why single out The Resistance for Criticism?

Happily, we remain reassured that those who support The Resistance will continue to withstand the peer pressure which derieds their aim of congregating for purposes of festivity and camaraderie. Senior Bars will endure, despite the reproach of the ignorant, because they are good. Stephanie E. Heilborn'95   Keltie L. Hays '95   Ellen C. Reilly '95