Plan for the Law Library Is Unfair

TO THE EDITORS

I am currently a first year law student and wanted to tell you about misrepresentation and Harvard. Suprisingly, I'm not talking about Gina Grant. I'm talking about Harvard Law School.

When the 500-plus students in my class choose to come to Harvard we were told that we would have access to the greatest law library in the world. This was something no other school could match and that we would regret not having this access if we went else-where.

Well, the joke's on us. In our third year, when we write our research papers, Langdell Library will be closed. We will not have access to the million of books advertised, but only have direct access to about 30,000.

I've been told that over 95% of the books and materials will be unavailable. (Supposedly the administration is suggesting that we can all take the T or taxis to use B.U.'s library. This is the first time that I've heard Harvard people suggest that anything at B.U. could replace something of Harvard's).

What's incredible is the way they announced this proposal. A little notice in our student mail boxes that said, and I paraphrase, "Course preregistration is coming up in a week, and you may want to consider the fact that you'll have no library your third year when choosing classes." The biggest joke is that this announcement was made right after April Fool's Day, so most student thought it was a joke.

Finally, I don't know that admissions material and pre-frosh material accurately reflect the fact that there will be no library, and at best an enfeebled library, in the coming years.

The people in the Harvard Law School administration should fully disclose the fact that they will merely have a "large law firm" library. Manish C. Shah, 1L