Class of '98 Takes Over BSA Board

By Victoria E.M. Cain

Six first-years were elected to the Executive Board of the Black Students Association (BSA) on Wednesday night, continuing a trend of first-year leadership in the organization.

The first-years who took top positions on the board include: Kristal C. O'Bryant as president, Chetanna I. Okasi as vice president, Joshua D. Powe as treasurer, Uche N. Ezekwueche as Minority Student Alliance Representative, Tammy L. Brown as historian and Aelaf D. Worku as Community Service Representative.

Board members said last night that they were optimistic about the future of both the Board and the BSA.

"I think that the new Board looks very promising," Powe said. "Seniors and juniors tend to be more involved in their studies. Freshmen have the time and commitment to do it."

"There's a lot coming up. We have a lot of plans," Okasi said.

O'Bryant was not available for comment.

The newly elected first-years cited unity and community awareness as their primaryconcerns for the upcoming year.

"I want to plan as many events as possible,"Powe said. "I want to let people know we are aforce on campus."

"I'd like to maintain BSA's active politicalawareness of Black students on campus. I want tocontinue the work of [past president] KristenClarke and the old board, and keep the Blackcommunity informed and involved about socialissues," Okasi said. "The baseline of the BSA isunity within the Black community, and I want to doanything to achieve that goal."

"They did a good job last year, but of course,more can always be done. I'd like to jazz it up abit, make our approach to unity within the Blackcommunity more interesting, less stressful thanyour ordinary meeting," she continued.

Okasi said the group may attract members bysponsoring new types of events.

"I'd definitely like to see the BSA become morefun, more lively. I'd like to do this through bothcultural and social events."

Osaki said she believes the objectives of theBSA represent those of Harvard's Black community.

"In terms of a problem with low membership,only 110 [Black students] may be dues payingmembers, but all 550 or so are BSA members atheart, and I'll work with that," she said. "I'mnot really worried about that number.