No Sieve

Miller Time!

By Bradford E. Miller

Alright, I hear you complaining.

I hear you whining: it took a miracle for the NHL owners to even allow a season, and we the fans get a much shortened one.

But then, after the game has been restored to greatness, no one scores any goals!

That's right, for those of you that hop on over to the limited cable access at Harvard, or are limited to (heaven forbid!) Fox's NHL Sunday, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Lots of zeros across the board--so far this year there have been 37 shutouts--an average of one a night.

But alas, for every dark goose egg there is a silver lining: there has been an uprising of strong defensive play--more specifically in the goalie department.

Perhaps I hold a bias for my fellow tenders, but there have been an amazing string of remarkable efforts in goal. There is no better idea than to inform the few curious ones about just whom they should be watching come game time.

A tremendous rookie performance from Jim Carey. No, not the pet detective, but the one in the mask (thanks, ESPN). Carey would have been propelling Wisconsin to the 1995 college hockey national championship, but decided to pass up his senior year. Carey started out playing for the Portland Pirates of the AHL, but has moved on to the Capitals, compiling a league-leading 1.85 goals-against with a 14-5-2 record. Rookie-of-the-Year award in both leagues? Maybe.

Haven't gotten enough Harvard hockey? Then Dominik Hasek of the Buffalo Sabres is the man to watch. Not that he ever donned the Crimson colors, but that his superb, unorthodox style a la Tripp Tracy '96 gets the job done. His .931 save percentage leads the galaxy (and Hasek doesn't even have one of those cool, fancy goalie helmets!).

Indeed, the secret of success this year in the NHL has been with the backstop, as both Detroit and Quebec feature solid savers. Where has Mike Vernon come from? The Red Wing is most notably known for his playoff performance as a Calgary Flame, but has risen from the dead. Watch and see if the old guy still can pack a wallop.

And for Quebec, where has Jocelyn Thibault been all my life? With 12-1-2, 2.15 GAA stats, I don't even care.

But where are the classics, you say? Where are the names I used to hear all the time? Oh, don't worry, they're still there, some doing better than others: Ed Belfour of the Blackhawks has spanking brand new goalie pads and an equally pearly-white 17-13-1,2.46.

Curtis Joseph? Cujo has still put up the numbers: 18-8-1, 2.76 GAA, but has been pulled from games quite often lately by new coach Mike "Captain Hook" Keenan. Patrick Roy? Unfortunately, a "sky high" 3.15 GAA has led to Montreal's fading playoff hopes.

Ron Hextall? Well, let's just say last week he turned his stick into kindling by thrashing it against his own cage. Hey, don't blame the equipment, Ronnie.

And what about fossil Grant Fuhr? After getting traded to Los Angeles to be reunited with old buddy Wayne Gretzky (The Great One wouldn't have anything to do with that, would he?), the golfing nut hasn't helped out Kelley Hrudey with his 0-5-1, 6.14 GAA.

Still, the stats speak for themselves: 20 goalies with GAA under 2.75, while five have save percentages above .920.

But wait--this wouldn't have anything to do with the young, fast, strong defensemen in the league, would it?

Well, let's just say no one has ever accused me of being an objective journalist.

But still: watch the guys with the fancy helmets.