Jewett Delays Decision

By Sarah J. Schaffer

Students awaiting a decision on the future of the proposal to randomize Harvard's housing lottery will have to wait a little longer.

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said yesterday that he will not decide whether to implement the plan until the end of this month.

The dean has said that he wants to make the decision before May 1, when students admitted to Harvard must say which college they will attend.

Jewett had hoped to announce his decision by the end of this week, but he said he must consider the input he has received recently from faculty and students.

Tomorrow, a group of more than 60 students is expected to present Jewett with a letter against randomization posted to the harvard.general newsgroup.

Jewett said that he wants to look at the results of this year's housing lottery to see if each house's demographics are representative of the entire College.

The dean leaves on a two-week trip to Japan at the end of this week. He said he will announce his decision shortly after he returns on April 24.