Softball Streaks Forward

Team Has Won Five of Last Six

By Ethan G. Drogin

Although it may be too early in the season to make predictions, the Harvard softball team appears primed to challenge for the Ivy League title.

Heading into today's doubleheader against Boston University, Harvard has the second-best overall record among Ancient Eight teams at 6-5, winning five of its last six games.

"In the last couple of games, we've come from behind to win," junior shortstop Amy Reinhard said. "We're feeling really good right now."

The Crimson was led last week by freshman hurler Tasha Cupp. The southpaw yielded only four hits in 10 innings of work and was rewarded with two wins for her effort.

Offensively, the team has been led by sophomore utility player Sara Cushman, who made the Ivy League Honor Roll this week.

Over a four-game stretch, Cushman went 5-10 to and is batting .577 for the season.

Reinhard--who also starts on the women's basketball team--is the softball team's second-leading hitter, carrying a .571 average into this afternoon's twinbill. It remains to be seen whether she can keep her batting average above her field goal percentage.

On the mound, freshman Heather Brown has been stellar as well, compiling a 2-0 record with a 1.66 ERA in 25 innings of work. Sophomore Rachel Saltzman (2-1, 2.63 ERA) has been equally effective, scattering eight hits over 13 innings.

Around the League

Princeton sophomore Mandy Pfeiffer was named Player of the Week. The first baseman batted .464, knocked in 16 runs and stroked eight extra-base hits.

The Tigers are 20-6 overall--best among Ivy teams--and are winners of their last eight games.

Princeton is the 25th-ranked team in the nation.

The Pitcher of the Week in the Ancient Eight was Princeton sophomore Maureen Davies. The 1994 Rookie of the Year won six games last week, striking out 40 in 30 innings.

Rookie of the Week honors went to Yale first basemen/pitcher Megan Kenny for the second straight week. Kenny went 4-14 at the plate and pitched 5 2/3 innings without surrendering an earned run.