Men's Baseball Coach Says He's Stepping Down

Hogan Will Focus on Teaching and Family; Resignation Follows an Especially Bad Season

By Jason E. Kolman

Five days after concluding one of the worst seasons in University history, Harvard baseball coach Leigh P. Hogan '75 announced his resignation on Monday, citing "the demands of a teaching career and of raising a young family," in a press release.

Hogan led the Crimson to an 81-102-1 record after succeeding Alex Nahigian as head coach in August of 1990. His 1991 team won the Beanpot Championship at Fenway Park, while its .351 percent team batting average ranked fourth in the NCAA.

The 1992 squad's 20-15 overall record was Harvard's first winning season since 1987, while the 1993 team finished second in the Ivy League with a 12-8 record.

Over the past two seasons, however, the Crimson has posted a combined record of 23-47-1, including this year's 10-25 mark and opening-round Beanpot loss.

A Cambridge native who currently resides in Marblehead, Mass. with his wife and three young children, Hogan will now resume his full-time position as history teacher at the private Buckingham, Browne and Nichols school in Cambridge. He has taught at the school since 1983, switching to a part-time position after assuming the coaching job.

"It has been a privilege to coach at Harvard," Hogan said. "During my five years here, the program has developed into a year-round commitment...I simply cannot devote the time this serious, high-quality baseball program deserves."

While a Harvard undergraduate, Hogan led the baseball team to the College World Series in both 1973 and 1974. A first baseman, he led the team in hitting during his junior and senior seasons and was named to the All-America Honorable Mention squad in 1974.

He also played center for three seasons on a hockey team that reached the NCAA semi-finals in his during his junior and senior years.

"While I am disappointed that Leigh has decided to leave Harvard, I understand and have great respect for his decision," Harvard Athletic Director William J. Cleary '56-'58 said. "Leigh truly understands the purpose of Ivy League athletics and has done a tremendous job in bringing our program forward."

Hogan notified captain Bo J. Bernhard '95 of his decision a week ago and informed the remaining players at the team dinner on Monday evening.

"[The decision] surprised me, but it was adifficult situation," Bernhard said. "Baseballcoach is a part-time position, but it demandsfull-time attention."

Although the Crimson finished last in the IvyLeague with a 6-14 record, the disastrous seasonapparently had no bearing on Hogan's decision.

"It was shocking to everybody," said pitcherJamie G. Irving '95. "With the way things wentthis year, it makes [the resignation] look a lotworse. It was more of an unselfish thing. Teachingis just what he loves to do most."

As a result of Hogan's resignation, theCrimson's returning players, many of whom assumedkey roles this past season, are worried aboutreestablishing themselves.

"You don't know what to expect, especiallyuntil a new coach is hired and you see how hereacts," said out-fielder Brian E. Ralph '98."It's a situation of uncertainty."

Hogan will run Harvard's baseball camps in Juneand July before his resignation takes effect onAugust 1. No possible successors have beenmentioned yet