Sage Jr. to Close Friday

Customers Say High Rents Drove Out Store

Sage Jr. convenience store, for years a favorite haunt of Adams and Quincy residents, will close its doors forever this Friday, an employee confirmed yesterday.

Dylan M. Tyson, 19, a clerk at the store, said yesterday he had been informing customers that rumors were correct--the store would be closing.

Tyson refused to comment on whether Sage Jr., which has been in its current Mt. Auburn St. location under the management of owner Charles Sage for the last five years, has been forced to close because of escalating rent.

But several long-time customers said yesterday they had heard from clerks at the store that high rents had made continuing operation impossible.

"I can tell you the rumors about what's going to be coming in," Tyson said, listing a massage parlor, a bakery and an expansion of Tommy's House of Pizza as among the possible replacements.

But workers at Tommy's yesterday said the restaurant has no plans to expand into the space currently occupied by Sage's laundromat and convenience store.

Regular patrons of Sage Jr. said yesterday they are sorry that it will close, meaning longer walks and fewer friendly faces in their future.

David P. Garcia, a fire-fighter who stops by the store about twice a week to play the lottery, says he will have to move "somewhere else in the square" to continue to play his lucky number.

And Adams House Drama Tutor David L. McMahon '94 said he and his dog Frank will now have to walk further to buy staples such as soda, cigarettes and dog food.

McMahon said that he has become friends with many of the clerks in the store during the four years he has lived in Adams.

"I am very upset," McMahon said. "It's one of the few convenience stores where you can actually get to know the people."