'86 Law School Grad Wins Tenure at HLS

A California scholar who graduated first in his Harvard Law School class nine years ago has accepted a tenured professorship at the school.

Einer R. Elhauge '83, a professor at Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California Berkeley, will teach a course on corporations, an elective in health care law, and a seminar on public choice theory and the law when he arrives in September.

Elhauge (pronounced el-ah-hay) is currently serving as a visiting professor at the University of Chicago Law School. He was a visiting professor at Harvard Law School in 1994.

"Einer Elhauge is one of the most impressive younger legal scholars in the country," said Dean of the Law School Robert C. Clark. "His important work in the areas of antitrust, health care law and public choice theory adds to the depth and breadth of our knowledge of law."

Elhauge, who graduated from the Law School in 1986, was awarded the Fay Diploma for finishing first in his class. He also received the Sears Prize in both his first and second years for being one of the two top students in his class. He served as articles office cochair on the Harvard Law Review.

"He's a splendid addition to the faculty. He has written extensively and brilliantly in the field of antitrust and will, I'm sure, continue that splendid work," said Langdell Professor of Law Phillip E. Areeda, an expert in the field of antitrust law.

Elhauge is currently working on a book on antitrust law with Areeda, according to a Law School statement.

As an undergraduate, Elhauge concentrated in biochemistry. He graduated magna cum laude in three years.

In 1986 he was a clerk in the U.S. Solicitor General's Office. He also clerked in 1986-87 with judge William A. Norris of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and in 1987-88 with Supreme Court Justice William J. Brennan Jr.