NRA Serves a Purpose

DISSENT

By Valerie J. Macmillan

While the National Rifle Association works against principles that the staff espouses, the group serves a purpose: it represents millions of citizens (admittedly including some racist, paramilitary separatists) who have every right to organize and try to further their aims.

I oppose the NRA's goals and support Bush's resignation from the organization, but I hope they continue to give a voice to those who disagree with me, including the white supremacist separatists. The grass-roots organization the staff disparages is a superb channel for their frustrations. In providing that channel, the NRA serves a very useful purpose. It is ridiculous to condemn the NRA for being successful representatives of its constituency.

Lastly, the staff is wrong to dismiss the concept of a "malevolent" federal government. Numerous FBI agents were reprimanded for their actions in Waco. In Idaho, a white supremacist's cabin was surrounded and his wife and son were shot because he failed to appear in court for a minor weapons violation. If fringe groups in the U.S. are paranoid, they may have frighteningly legitimate reasons to be.