President Defends Benefits Moves

Rudenstine Calls Faculty Criticism a 'Misreading' of Corporation

By Todd F. Braunstein

President Neil L. Rudenstine defended the University's decision on faculty benefits in an interview last week and invited ongoing faculty contributions on the issue.

The president said he felt the University was now in good shape on the benefits issue and that the establishment of the University Committee in Benefits has demonstrated the administration's commitment to listening.

"It seems to me, even though it may be bumpy and complicated, we're getting toward a place with the new University-wide benefits committee where we can get all the information and all the issues on the table," Rudenstine said. "The more information we can have, the more discussion we can have, the better we can look at the issues together [and] the better off we'll be."

Last month the Corporation, the more powerful of the University's two governing boards, rejected a Faculty committee's proposal that the University reverse a previously approved one-percent reduction in Harvard's contribution to faculty pension plans. Professors blasted the Corporation for its decision, with several saying faculty-administration relations had reached an all-time low.

But the Corporation upheld the committee's recommendation that the University impose a soft cap on health benefits.

The president, who has been pilloried by professors angry about the benefits changes, expressed optimism that faculty objections would be assuaged.Rudenstine even appeared surprised when questionedabout faculty reactions.

Asked about professors who have accusedRudenstine of ignoring them, the president invited"any one who can shed light on the problems" tocome forward.

"I'm sorry if that's the perception but Ireally do think it is a misreading," Rudenstinesaid. "Then we need to get around a table and lookat it in-depth."

He also said the Corporation had appreciatedthe faculty efforts and took the proposal veryseriously.

"I think they were strongly considered in theCorporation response--there was one substantialchange," Rudenstine said. "I think it would be aserious misreading of the Corporation and theCorporation response to feel it was not receptiveand thoughtful [to the faculty proposal]."

"I'll be very surprised if we don't come out ina place that most people think is a good place,"the president said.

Rudenstine said he was confident that the newcommittee, to be chaired by Provost AlbertCarnesale, would provide an effective outlet forcontinuous input into the University's benefitspolicies.

The committee members have not been announcedpublicly, but Rudenstine said all the invitationshave been extended and accepted. He said heexpected the committee to meet before the summerstarted.

Rudenstine had little to say about the ongoingsearches for new deans for the Kennedy School andBusiness School.

He said he is almost finished gathering namesfor a successor to Business School Dean John H.McArthur, who announced his retirement in March.

He said about 20 internal candidates have beennominated for the post during his correspondencewith Business School faculty, students, staff andalumni.

About 20 other outside candidates have beenrecommended, but Rudenstine said he is stilllooking for candidates from the outside.

"That means that by mid-June afterCommencement, we can sit down and we'll probablyhave...our working base," the president said. "Sobetween then and the end of August, we'll beworking on that."

Rudenstine said there would "certainly" be adean in the fall.

Rudenstine also appeared optimistic that thesearch for a Kennedy School dean, now in its 13thmonth, would come to a close soon.

"I can't say yet, but I think there will be [anannouncement] in not too long a time," Rudenstinesaid, adding it was "not impossible" that theannouncement could come during Commencement Week.

Rudenstine has been searching for a new deansince Albert Carnesale was named provost last May.Carnesale has split his time between Mass. Halland the Kennedy School in the past year