Levy Named Baseball Captain

By Matt Howitt

Coach Leigh Hogan '75 announced that junior Marc Levy has been elected captain of 1995-96 Harvard baseball team on May 17.

Hogan, who is stepping down in August, presented senior captain and second baseman Bo Bernhard with the team's Most Valuable Player, Award. Berhard was also honored with the George A. Percy '18 Award for Spirit and Dedication.

Freshman outfield Brett Vankoski was awarded the Wendell Bat Award, which is presented yearly to the person who has the greatest safe arrivals at first base, sacrifice hits, stolen bases, runs scored and RBIs combined.

Sophomore Frank Hogan was voted the team's Outstanding Pitcher.

Harvard finished the season with a 10-25 record.

Six Laxmen All-New England

Senior tri-captain and midfielder Steve Gaffney and junior attacker Mike Eckert were named to the first team of the 1995 All-New England Iacrosse team on May 17.

Senior tri-captain and defenseman Mason Wynocker, senior attacker Jamie Ames, junior midfielder Chris Wojcik and senior defenseman Sean Lavin were selected to the second team.

The Division I head coaches in New England make the selections.

Gaffney was the fourth leading scorer for Harvard (8-5,4-2 Ivy) with 24 points in 13 games. The senior, who was also named first-team All-Ivy, finished his career with 98 points (56 goals, 42 assists) in 54 games.

Eckert, a second-team All-Ivy selection, led all Crimson scorers with 66 points in 13 games. Eckett has compile 171 career points and is 70 points behind Grady Watts '62 with one season of eligibility remaining.

Butler Scholarship

Tammy Butler, a senior forward on the Harvard women's basketball team was awarded a Postgraduate Scholarship by the NCAA on May 10.

The scholarship, one of seven given to women's basketball players in Division I, is $5,000 for postgraduate study at any university or professional school.

The scholarship caps a stellar career for Butler, who was the 1994-1995 Ivy League Player of the Year and a unanimous first team All-Ivy selection. Butler led Harvard in scoring with 17.6 points per game and was second in rebounding with 9.2 boards per game. She was named to the GTE Academic All-America and Academic All-Ivy teams.

In four years of Harvard basketball, Butler netted an all-time leading 1,605 points and grabbed an all-time leading 1,053 rebounds.