6. The Beanpot Championship

February 14, 1995

The Harvard hockey program was in trouble.

The men's team was struggling through a sub-par year, not living up to its tremendously high preseason expectations. The women's team was also having an average year, just two games above .500. The men had recently placed fourth in the Beanpot, the last at historic Boston Garden.

That's how the fabled Harvard hockey program entered the women's Beanpot in 1995. It left golden.

The icewomen cut through the February morass and lit up Bright Hockey Center for the Beanpot Championship. Harvard bounced into the finals against Northeastern and its five game Harvard winning streak with a 3-2 victory over Boston College.

The outcome was different this time. The Crimson played sensationally in another 3-2 win.

Senior goalie Erin Villiotte, who has rewritten the goaltending chapter of the Harvard women's hockey record book, turned away 28 Husky shots, while Harvard junior Holly Leitze, sophomore sensation A.J. Mleczko and junior Stacy Kellogg all put the puck in the net.

For her efforts, Villiotte was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player.