Chair Endowed at K-School

Adams Professor Will Study American Political Leadership

By Victoria E.M. Cain

The University announced yesterday that Charles F. Adams '32, a descendant of former U.S., Presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams, has established a new chair at the Kennedy school of Government.

The Adams Professorship of Political Leadership and democratic Values is intended for a tenured professor whose teaching and research encompasses the historical record of American political leadership, a symbolic legacy of the Adams family's contribution to American life.

"As patriots, presidents, diplomats and leaders in industry and civic life, members of the Adams family have, for centuries, lived lives that embody the values of public service to which the Kennedy School is dedicated," President Neil L. Rudenstine said in a press release. "Through the establishment of this professorship, Harvard University honors, and is honored by, the legacy of leadership that is synonymous with the name of Adams."

Dean of the Kennedy School and Provost Albert Carnesale echoed Rudenstine's sentiments, emphasizing the pertinence of the chair's purpose.

"This new tenured position lies at the very core of the School's activities--those that deal with ideals and challenges of democratic governance," Carnesale said.

Adams has continued his family's two centuries of service to the University. He served on the Board of Overseers and currently assists with the $2.1 billion University Campaign.

This is the second professorship established by Adams. the first was the Adams University Professorship in the Faculty of arts and Sciences, currently held by emeritus professor Bernard Bailyn.