W. Golf Improves; Men Win ECAC Title

By Ethan G. Drogin

For the men's women's golf teams, there was a pair of more than competent seasons.

The women's team, only in existence for a few years, established itself as a "real" Harvard sport, while the men's team reeled in a upset victory at the ECAC Tournament.

The Women

If a team's success is measured by its improvement, then the Harvard women's golf team had a very successful season.

The Crimson began the fall season the without a full team, entering three fall tournaments as individuals. By the close of the spring season, however, a competitive team with a nucleus of young talent had formed.

In a each of its last three tournaments, Harvard finished in the middle of the pack. The Crimson finished fifth in a nine team field at the Hartford Holiday Inn Invitational and garnered a sixth place finished a in a field of 10 teams at the Boston College Invitational.

Led by sophomore captain Alexis Boyle, women's golf at Harvard took a major step forward in laying a foundation for next season.

Boyle was consistently one of the Crimson's best scorers, registering a sixth place finish at the Massachusetts Women's Championship and a 10th place finish at the Hartford Holiday Inn Invitational.

Sophomore Megan Murray also made important contributions during the spring season. Murray--a two-sport varsity athlete who played field hockey in the fall--placed third at the Massachusetts Women's Championship with an 86 and was consistently one of Harvard's top three scorers.

Rounding out the youthful roster were seniors Emilie Kao And Elizabeth Owens, junior Madge Roberts, sophomore Harlan Fabrikant and freshman Christina Nielsen and Suzanne Renere.

The Men

Unlike the women, the men's golf team entered the year looking not to rebuild but to win.

The Crimson finished third or better in seven tournaments, capturing first place on three occasions.

At the ECAC Championships, the team stunned college golf with a first place in a field of 20 teams. The Crimson was led by junior Joel Radtke, who finished third with a 147.

The Crimson also tasted victory in a match against Ivy League rivals Princeton and Yale. Sophomore Luis Sanchez--the team's top scorer in five of its 11 tournaments--fired a 77 to finish second, while Radtke and teammate jack Wylie tied for fourth, each shooting 78.

But the golf team's title bid fell short at the Ivy the League Championships in April. The Crimson finished in a second-place tie with Dartmouth, while Princeton captured its fourth consecutive Ivy championship.

The season ended on a high note, however---Harvard finally defeated arch-rival Dartmouth (and Brown, for that matter) in the final match of the year.

The Crimson was led by co-captains Radtke and Wylie.

Radtke was named to the All-Ivy team by finishing second at the Ivy League Championships. The junior also placed third at the ECAC championships.

Wylie, a senior, also earned a spot on the All-Ivy team by finishing sixth with a 235 at the Ivy Championships. Wylie also finished fifth at the Yale Invitational and fourth in the match against Princeton and Yale.

Much like the women's team, the men have a host of young, talented players returning next season. Freshmen Andy Rourke, Mike Scott, Alex Gonzalez and Amar Goel join sophomores Ed Boyda and Oliver Hsiang to the give the Crimson high hopes for the future.