Cops Prevent Yard Car Theft

Police Arrest Roslindale Man; Harvard Professor Loses $1K

By Marios V. Broustas

Harvard police successfully deterred two men from stealing a car parked near Matthews Hall early Wednesday morning according to Chief Paul E. Johnson.

Kevin Velasquez 17, of Roslindale was arrested and charged with breaking and entering into a motor vehicle with intent to commit a felony.

Officer Kevin McCarthy, responding to an anonymous tip, observed Velasquez and an unidentified, Black male crouched beside the driver's side of a green, Chevy Malibu at approximately 3 a.m.

When the two suspects spotted McCarthy's police, car, they fled the scene.

But in a subsequent search of the area, police found the the intended getaway car. Jerome McNulty who was sitting in a Honda Civic parked on Evans Way was apparently awaiting the return of the men, Johnson said.

Velasquez eventually returned to find McNulty where police were waiting for him.

Caught red-handed, Velasquez admitted to the charges adding that he returned because the getaway car belongs to his girlfriend.

The Boston police declined jurisdiction in the case and following the Harvard police's arrest.

Velasquez was transported to Boston's Area B2 station in Roxbury.

Other News

A Somerville man was arrested on an outstanding warrant after he was observed harassing patrons in front of Au Bon Pain Tuesday night, Johnson said.

David L. Irish 54, was arrested at 9 p.m. by Officer Paul Westlund who was working a detail in the Square.

Westlund initially asked Irish to vacate the premises. When Irish refused, the Harvard officer detained him, checked his record on a police computer in his patrol car and discovered that there is a WMS warrant on Irish.

Johnson could not clarify the source of the warrant.

Professor Loses a Grand

A Harvard professor lost $1,000 last Thursday that he left in his wallet while swimming at Blodgett pool, according to Johnson.

The professor whom Johnson refused to name arrived at the pool at roughly 4:30 p.m. He left his clothes in a locker that he believed to have secured with a combination lock.

When the professor returned roughly one hour later, he found that his wallet had been moved from his right rear pocket to his left rear pocket.

Although the combination lock was still on the number that the professor had left it, $1,000 was missing from the wallet.

The police officially have no suspects in the case, but Johnson said that the professor has fingered a man he encountered as he entered the pool.

The man a six foot white male may have acted suspiciously towards the professor Johnson said.