Law School Tenures Georgetown Prof.

By Alison D. Overholt

Daniel I. Halperin, a U.S. Treasury official during the Carter administration and current Gerogetown law school professor, has accepted a tenured position at Harvard Law School.

Law School Dean Robert C. Clark announced Friday that Halperin will become the new Stanley S. Surrey Professor of Law. He will join the faculty in September.

"It will be a pleasure to work with the students and faculty of Harvard Law School," Halperin said in a telephone interview. "I have devoted my research and writing to thinking about tax theory and policy and I would like the opportunity to pass on what I have learned to the next generation of tax teachers and policymakers."

"Experience indicates that a large number of them will be graduates of Harvard Law School," he said. Halperin, himself, is a Harvard Law graduate.

Halperin will be Harvard's first Surrey Professor of Law. The professorship was established this year in honor of Stanley Surrey, an Law School professor from 1950 to 1961, and then from 1969 until retirement in 1981.

Surrey founded the International Tax Program at Harvard Law School, a leading world center for the study and research of international tax systems. Halperin joins the faculty as a specialist in tax legislation, and pension and retirement benefits law.

Presently, Halperin is a Georgetown University Law Center professor. He has also been a professor at the University of Pennsylvania Law School. He practiced with a New York City law firm for six years after finishing law school.

Halperin served two terms with the U.S. Treasury Department under the Johnson, Nixon and Carter Administrations.

"We are very fortunate to be able to bring Daniel Halperin to our faculty," Clark said in a statement. "He is an outstanding teacher of taxation and adds additional luster to an already outstanding faculty."

"[He] will also provide much needed strength in the increasingly important areas of pension and retirement law," Clark added.

Halperin has authored numerous articles and papers for various law review journals.