Dean Mulls Effects Of Dunster Deaths

By Valerie J. Macmillan

No changes to the College's counseling or tutor systems will be made in response to May's murder-suicide in Dunster House, but Harvard will use the incident to raise awareness about campus resources for dealing with emotional problems, Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 said in an interview this week.

"The way I like to think about it, it's not so much to address the specific incident but use awareness for teaching, learning and education about the resources we have available," Lewis said. "We're going to give a lot of effort to encourage people to be alert and aware of the ways in which one can steer students."

Lewis said that the counseling system had not lapsed in the Dunster incident, in which Sinedu Tadesse '96 fatally stabbed her roommate, Trang P. Ho '96, injured a guest and then committed suicide.

"There hasn't been any evidence there was a breakdown [in the system]," he said, adding that the College's review of the matter did "not suggest anything in particular that would have been done differently."

"Harvard students are high achieving people and it's hard for students in our community to accept their own failings. We try to identify as many students who need help as many ways as we can," he said. "Students need to be more aware. Also, we need to make sure those who come in contact with students aware of thoseresources."

However, Lewis did say that the trainingsession for tutors at the beginning of the yearhas been expanded into a full day for new tutorsand a half day for returning tutors.

The College is also looking into how it handlescrises, Lewis said. He said an important issue ishow to get information to people in cases of"severe emergency" like the Dunster incident.

"We had people who were reading the news feedoff the Internet, but not all the Masters knewwhat was going on," Lewis said. "We're trying tofigure out the right ways to get key peopleinformed."

Lewis said he will be devoting a significantamount of time to the problem of alcohol abuse oncampus.

"It's perfectly clear it [alcohol abuse] isassociated with other antisocial behaviors," hesaid. "In a couple of weeks, I'm sending a letterto all upperclass students alerting them to thefact that we take the issue seriously and thatthey are subject to sanctions if their conduct isdisruptive to the community."

Lewis said he will also be "reviewing theAdministrative Board" from a standpoint ofefficiency. He said students would not see a largechange except that their petitions would beanswered more quickly