Two Unions Agree on Deals

Police Association Seals 3-Year Pact

By Andrew L. Wright

Following six months of negotiations most noteworthy for the relative ease with which they proceeded, the Harvard Police Association and the University announced on July 24 that they agreed to a new three year-contract.

The contract, which replaces the that expired at the end of July, provides for a series of four wage increases: three percent effective August 1, 1995; three percent effective August 1, 1996; two percent effective August 1, 1997; and two percent effective February 1, 1998.

Officials with the union and the University praised the new contract.

"We believe we signed a fair contract," Officer Robert A. Cooper, vice president of the patrol officer's union, said in July. "Both of us made compromises, and we're pleased with the outcome."

Vice President and General Counsel Margaret H. Marshall agreed.

"I believe that the discussions were constructive, and that the agreement is both fair to members of the department as well as consistent with the broader University financial imperatives," she said in July.

According to those involved in the negotiations, there were several reasons why this year's negotiations were completed so quickly and quietly:

* The police seemed generally satisfied with the University's offer (as indicated by their 32-0 approval of the contract) and did not feel compelled to hold out for more.

* The University had no incentive to engage the police in protracted negotiations. Because the police have few part-time employees, Harvard may have felt it did not have to challenge the cops on benefits for part-time workers--a key sticking point in negotiations with the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers. Harvard negotiators did not think the police would provide them with additional leverage in their talks with that union, sources say.

* Both sides remembered, and wanted to avoid repeating, the bitter two-year standoff over the previous contract.

In addition to the wage increases, the new contract also retained most of an educational incentive program and improved some of the officers' other benefits.