Who's Hu? Ivy League Now Knows

By Matt Howitt

Just when it looks like there is nowhere to go, when an army of opposing jerseys looms ahead, Eion Hu finds a hole.

The junior running back, all 5'10" and 195 pounds of him, spent last season--to the surprise of many--confounding defensive coordinators and cutting through defensive lines the way superheros demolish mere mortals in Hu's beloved comic books.

No one predicted that the genial economics concentrator could have the phenomenal season he had, but one need only survey his numbers (101) rushing yards total, six games over 100 yards, 11 touchdowns) and awards (Ivy League Rookie of the Year, ECAC I-AA Rookie of the Year, Second-Team All-Ivy) for proof. The classic north-south runner is just the second man in school history to top 1000 yards in a season.

What a difference a year makes; Hu's star goes unrecognized no longer. Both Bob Griese's College Football Yearbook and Football News have chosen Hu preseason All-Ivy. When people ask about the team's leaders his name is the third or fourth mentioned.

The pithy question of the Ivy League last year was "Who's Hu?" After the 1994 season, no one is asking it anymore.