Women Linskters Continue to Build

By David S. Griffel

If you build it, they will come.

Harvard is currently in the building process when it comes to women's golf, a program beginning its third year as a varsity sport. And as with most new teams, it takes a while to start competing with and even defeating strong, established teams.

Just look at the Minnesota Timberwolves--they still stink and they have been around far longer than the formula swingers.

Don't worry--the Crimson has fewer problems than the T-wolves. One of those, however, has been getting the top high-school players to attend Harvard, as the team currently fields a roster only eight deep.

"I submitted a list of seven or eight [recruited] candidates, but I managed to get only one to attend," coach Warren Smith said. "The competition is fierce."

That one incoming player--Jocelyn Bozivich--should be a big help to the team, however.

"Bosivich is an impact player," Smith said. "She will be able to help us tremendously."

Consistency is something the Crimson is striving for this year. While several players have been able to shoot in the low 80s in the team's first two seasons, higher scores in the 90s and 100s have cost the team in many tournaments.

Ideally, the Crimson would have to field golfers who all shoot in the low 80s or high 70s, but that's a process that will take a few years. As a new program, word is just beginning to get out about Harvard's youngest sport.

"I have been running into parents [at top amateur golf tournaments] that didn't know we had a program." Smith related. "We are now stimulating a lot of interest."

For the 1995-96 season, the Crimson returns seven players, led by junior captain Alexis Boyle. Other veterans are seniors Emilie Kao and Madge Roberts, juniors Harlan Fabrikant and Megan Murray and sophomores Christina Nielsen and Suzanne Ranere.

The fall portion of the campaign kicks off with the Dartmouth Invitational on September 23-24 and ends with the ECAC Championships which eastern power Princeton should host. While Harvard probably won't defeat the East's top teams. Smith feels that his team should be able to close the gap a lot this year.

"In the last couple of years we have made some nice strides," Smith said. "For the first time we will be able to feel confident."

WOMEN'S GOLF

H-Y-P: Third

Coach: Warren Smith

Captain: Alexis Boyle '97

Key Returnees: Megan Murray '97, Suzanne Ranere '98, Madge Roberts '96

New Face: Jocelyn Bozivich '99

Key Losses: None