Get Well Soon, Dean Epps

Amidst the daily rough and tumble of College life, with its endless stream of contentious issues, tensions and conflicts, it's sometimes hard to remember that all of us--whether conservative or liberal student group, seemingly unreasonable administrator or demanding student--are all part of the same community. It's too bad that it takes a shocking event to make us remember that one collegiate fact.

This summer, Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III fell ill and underwent double bypass surgery and kidney treatment. As one of the College's most influential and charismatic administrators, Epps has seen student affairs at the College through some tumultuous times and myriad changes. His 30-year commitment to Harvard and Radcliffe has been characterized by his caring guidance and counsel.

Day to day we may take them for granted, but it is people like Epps, who through their dedication and service to the College, make it the extraordinary place that it is. When something so unexpected disables an instrumental member of our community, his absence and our reliance on him is deeply felt. Fortunately, Epps expects to return to the College in October.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Dean Epps, a man who has helped shape the College for three decades and who embodies the spirit and virtues of collegiate life. You'll be singing those opera arias again in no time, Archie.