Hu Returns to Ivy League Honor Roll

THE IVY ROUNDUP

By Ethan G. Drogin

Junior running back Eion Hu was named to the Ivy League Honor Roll for yet another solid performance. Hu ran for 92 yards on 22 carries and caught one pass for a nine-yard gain against the Lions.

Forgotten in last Saturday's 28-24 defeat was the Crimson's stellar execution inside the "red zone." Harvard scored on each of its four possessions inside the Columbia 20-yard line.

Coach Tim Murphy made good on his promise to insert reserve quarterback Jay Snowden into the game. The sophomore replaced Vin Ferrara on two occasions inside the Columbia five-yard line and produced touchdowns both times.

Harvard was penalized only twice for 15 yards and committed nary a turnover against Columbia. The Crimson was the least penalized team in the Ancient Eight last season.

The Ivy League Quote of the Week goes to Columbia coach Ray Tellier for stringing together back-to-back-to-back cliches: "When the chips were down we had some people rise up and do what you gotta do in tight situations."

Columbia plays St. Mary's of California this Saturday. Now there's a football powerhouse.

The Lions' Rory Wilfork was recognized as Defensive Player of the Week. The first-team All-Ivy player in 1994 racked up 17 tackles and two sacks against Harvard.

The Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week was awarded to Yale quarterback Chris Heathrington, who passed for 223 yards and ran for 166 against Brown. The 6-3 senior led the Bulldogs to victory in a 42-38 shoot-out victory over the Bears.

In the game, Tim Reed, a Bulldog defensive back and native Rhode Islander, made a game saving tackle on the two-yard line as time expired. Ironically, Reed was recruited by the Bears but passed on the Brown in favor of New Haven. Ouch.

Penn ran its win streak to 22 games with its come-from-behind win against lowly Dartmouth. The Quakers, trailing 12-3 at halftime, ran off 17 unanswered points to beat the Big Green.

Penn wide receiver Miles Macik was named to the Ivy Honor Roll for his 12-catch, 158-yard effort against Dartmouth. Macik, who's 6-4 frame qualifies him as the Ivy League's Michael Irvin, was an All-American last season.

Princeton staved off a late Cornell comeback to edge the Big Red, 24-22. The Big Red's big gun, running back Chad Levitt, rushed for 89 yards on 25 carries and scored two touchdowns against a solid Tiger defense.

Princeton signal-caller Harry Nakienly riddled the Cornell secondary, completing 22-of-28 passes for 256 yards and three touchdowns to earn a spot on this week's Honor Roll.

Columbia's band is a disgrace.