Epps Is Well After Kidney Transplant

By Valerie J. Macmillan

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III and his wife, Valerie Epps, a professor at Suffolk University Law School, were both in "stable, satisfactory condition" yesterday after a successful kidney transplant operation at Bringham and Women's hospital in Boston.

Valerie Epps donated a kidney to her husband on January 4th. According to a press release, both are expected to be released from the hospital later this week.

"His wife's generous sacrifice promises a renewal of his life," a press release said. "He expects to return to the College at the beginning of the spring term."

Sarah E. Flatley, assistant dean of students, has been handling many of Epps duties during his absence. Thomas A. Dingman '67, associate dean of the College, has been assisting Flatley.

"Dean Epps extends his appreciation to students, faculty and colleagues for their expressions of support," the press release said.

"He is especially pleased that several former students of the College served as members of the surgical team."

Michelle Hewitt, assistant to the Dean of Students, said that since Epps' absence was not a surprise, no projects have been put on hold and everything in the office is running smoothly.

"He's been checking in every day. He checked in on Friday [the day after the surgery]," Hewitt said. "It's business as usual."

In August, Dean Epps underwent heart bypass surgery and took a leave of absence until the end of September.

During the leave, he received treatment for his kidney condition.

Epps has served as dean of the College for 25 years, and was the assistant dean for six years prior to that.

He is renowned for his open-door policy toward College students, his seniority and a penchant for bowties