Grancio Foils Foyle

By Chris W. Mcevoy

Last night the Crimson defeated the Colgate Red Raiders 63-54 at home in Lavietes Pavilion. Harvard's win ended its streak of bad luck against the Red Raiders to whom it has lost seven out of its last eight encounters.

The Crimson's win was especially impressive considering that Colgate featured one of the nation's top defensive players, 6'10 sophomore center and likely NBA draftee Adonal Foyle.

With a season-high 15 points, junior forward Chris Grancio was a major factor in Harvard's win because he was able to contain Foyle on defense and because of his spectacular offensive performance.

"Specifically, on individual defense, Chris Grancio really did an excellent job," head coach Frank Sullivan said. "[Grancio] made it difficult for [Foyle] to get the basketball, so it was a combination of team effort and some great individual defense by Chris on Adonal that really got it done for us."

Grancio had some key steals from Foyle and also caused Foyle to cough up the ball on numerous occasions. Foyle, who averages 24.3 points a game and rarely fouls out, only had 15 points and fouled out with two minutes left in the game thanks to Grancio's smothering defensive pressure.

"We saw some tape of him, and we knew he was going to be tough if he caught the ball on the block." Grancio said. "So we just focused on trying to get someone in front, of him and bang him around a little bit and if he did get the ball inside to try and rotate and double-team him."

Grancio not only contained Foyle on defense, but was an offensive madman. Grancio obviously was not intimidated to shoot over Foyle, who is ranked eighth in the country in blocked shots.

Shooting 6 for 12, Grancio's most impressive offensive moment was his second three pointer at 9:47 of the second half. Foyle fouled Grancio in the air, knocking the big man to the ground. The shot soared through the air in a perfect arc as Grancio lay on the ground, and fell with a quiet whoosh, bringing the crowd to an uproar.

Grancio, however, explained his impressive offensive and defensive performance simply.

"It must have been the shoes," Grancio said referring to his new leather Air Jordans.