'Crimson Cash' Is Hardly a Gift

TO THE EDITORS

With all the euphoria over the opening of Loker Commons, the University-sponsored publicity onslaught and the advent of "Crimson Cash," I thought it might be nice for the student population to know some of the unmentioned consequences of Loker Commons.

First, Crimson Cash is no more than a $75 subsidy paid for by each of Harvard's students in order to distort the free market, force students to trek to Loker Commons in the snow and sleet [so as not to lose the $75 allotment which their tuition purchased], and alter their normal consumption choices. Alas, say goodbye to Tommy's. Pinocchio's and Bartley's Burger Cottage. Pretty soon we will all have to eat in an ugly tan basement with no windows. And we wanted more choices?

Second, Loker Commons serves the interests of only a minority of Harvard students. None of the Crimson Cash accepting eateries are anywhere near the River Houses. Unless you are a first-year student or a science concentrator, why would you ever walk to Memorial Hall for a snack when local businesses are much more convenient? Now you will--all because of Crimson Cash!

Third, the $75 allotment is coming out of each student's board fee. Alas, the already suffering quality of our dining halls will sink another $75 per student.

Still, the most disturbing aspect of Crimson Cash is the distortion of the free market by big business, namely Harvard University. Rather than allowing the business in Loker Commons to survive on their own merit, the University has stepped in and provided a subsidy at our and local business expense without ever asking us or contemplating the consequences to other Square eateries that rely on student business. A better policy would have been to refund $75 of our tuition for students to spend at any business they so desired. Shawn Zeller '97