Divest Now From Nigeria

TO THE EDITORS

The Nigerian military government's recent execution of nine antigovernment activists, including environmental and human rights activist Ken Saro-Wiwa, has elicited international outrage and condemnation. Most notably, the United States and several other countries have withdrawn their ambassadors to Nigeria.

But Nigeria can withstand these diplomatic censures as long as its financial support remains intact. Most of that support comes from foreign investment, particularly from oil companies that export primarily to the United States. Shareholders in those companies now have a moral obligation to divest. American investors should let the world know that their money does not go to tyrants and murderers.

The inhumane actions of the Nigerian government are anathema to our moral sensibilities as Americans and as Jews. We strongly support the efforts of the Undergraduate Council and the Harvard African Students Association and we urge the Harvard Corporation to divest fully from oil companies that continue to invest in Nigeria. In doing so, they will send an unmistakable message that Harvard recognizes the sanctity of human life and the importance of freedom. Ethan M. Tucker '97   Chair, Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel   Devid J. Andorsky '97   Chair-Elect.   Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel