HSA Elects Nine New Board Members

Harvard Student Agencies (HSA) announced the names of the students newly elected to its board of directors yesterday. Competition for the positions was fierce, with 23 undergraduates running for nine openings.

The new members include Husani K. Barnwell '98, David L. Boggs '98, Michael S. Campbell '98, Melanie Q. Kansil '97, Karen Lau '98, Thomas F. Moore '98, Kimble Poon '99, Rosemary E. Scozzafava '98 and Amit Tiwari '97.

"I ran for this position because I'd like to have some say in how the organization is run," Moore said.

The students were elected by 600 members of the corporation. Individuals qualify to be members of HSA by earning at least $100 while working for the organization.

The nine student members will work closely with the rest of the board, which includes the student publishing director, seven alumni and seven University officials.

The student board members are eligible to run for the presidency of the board of directors. Elections for this position will be held October 18 at a closed meeting.

All of the newly elected student board members have previously held administrative or editorial positions in HSA.

"I've been working for HSA and Let's Go for the past two years and I've gotten a lot from it," Campbell said. "I thought [running for the Board of Directors] would be a great way to give back to it."

Campbell said he hopes to offer advice on computers and technology relating to the creation of the computer infrastructure at HSA's new building on 67 Mt. Auburn. The building, Burke McCoy Hall, will house both HSA and Let's Go Travel.

Another new inductee to the board said he does not have a clear-cut agenda, but added he hopes to focus on helping the various organizations within HSA to cooperate with one another.

Citing the location of Let's Go and HSA (under the same roof) as intensifying the need for good relations, Moore said he wanted to ease the transition to shared office space.

"I'll do what I can to smooth the wheels for this," Moore said.