Rudenstine Discusses Plans

By Andrew A. Green

President Neil L. Rudenstine released a letter to the Harvard community yesterday outlining plans and projects for this year.

The letter highlights issues Rudenstine has consistently focused on in recent months, including plans for a proposed international studies center, information technology development and the University's ongoing $2.1 billion capital campaign.

Rudenstine wrote that Harvard plans to build a new complex integrating many of its international studies research centers and programs and the government department.

"[We have] an opportunity to bring them into greater contact with one another, in a way that will enable faculty and students to share and to integrate insights drawn from different regions and fields of study," Rudenstine wrote.

Emphasizing the importance of information technology in education, Rudenstine said Provost Albert Carnesale is now forming a University-wide committee to better coordinate technology initiatives in the schools.

Announcing that more than $1.25 billion has now been raised in the University Campaign, Rudenstine highlighted ways the fundraising effort has already had a significant impact, including the Memorial Hall renovation and the progress on the Barker Center for the Humanities.