Federal Gov't Increases Funds For Education

Pell Grant, Work Study Spending to Rise

By Andrew A. Green

In what some call election-year pandering, federal funding for higher education was increased again in the latest budget signed by President Clinton earlier this month.

The budget, according to numbers released by the Republican-controlled House Economic and Educational Opportunities Committee, increases Pell Grants to their highest levels ever. The maximum size for these grants was increased by $230 to $2,700.

Funding for federal work study was also increased by 35 percent to $830 million for next year.

Although fewer than 500 Harvard students receive Pell Grants, the amount of money the government spends on the grants has a great deal of significance for the school, said David P. Illingworth '71, who is associate director for financial aid.

"The amount [of funding for] Pell Grants does impact Harvard University," Illingworth said. "Pell grants replace money the institution will give to students and enables us to spread our money."

Federal work study also helps a great number of Harvard students, Illingworth said.

Elizabeth M. Hicks, an assistant dean for admissions and financial aid who is currently serving as deputy assistant secretary for student financial assistance in the U.S. Department of Education (DOE), said she is "delighted" at the funding increase.

"President Clinton has been very keen to increase Pell Grants and provide assistance for work study," Hicks said. "After the year we've had, we're very happy."

Despite bi-partisan approval of these measures, legislators on both sides of the aisle accuse the other party of supporting them in order to pander to voters.

Republicans, notably Opportunities Committee Chair William R. Goodling (R-Pa.), accuse President Clinton and Democrats in general of wasting money on higher education and declare victory, saying they have struck a blow for responsible spending.

"For the most part, we're looking to get rid of the waste and abuse going on and make streamlined programs. The Democratic idea of maintaining bureaucracy that is inefficient and wastes money is unacceptable," said Opportunities Committee Spokesperson Kevin MacMillan.

Democrats, on the other hand, said they have beaten back the Republican threat of massive spending cuts.

"I like to think the Republicans have learned their lesson," said Jim P. Manley, a spokesperson for Senator Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 (D-Mass.) "Each and every time Republicans have tried to cut spending, the Democrats and the Clinton administration have fought them every step of the way."

Democrats also said they do not believe Republicans' commitment to increased funding for higher education is sincere.

"The Republicans, led by the dormant Presidential campaign of Bob Dole, are once again trying to convince the American people that their agenda to reduce funding for Federal education programs and restrict access to higher education is the way to strengthen the country's educational system," said Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) in a speech on the House floor last month.

While officials at Harvard and the DOE said they can't be sure that federal funding will continue to increase, they said they are in a better position now than before.

According to Hicks, the increased funding comes at a good time.

Because the 1965 Higher Education Act must be renewed within the next two years, it is strategically important that spending is on an upward trend, Hicks said.

"It will give us a strong position from which to operate," Hicks said. "I hope this is something that will move us in the right direction."

The overall political climate has proven that cutting education is unpopular, she said.

"What is clear is that education is a high priority," Hicks said. "The public has made it known that this is their priority."

Federal spending on education continues to be an important issue and politicians are already working on future proposals to generate more money for education.

Manley said Kennedy is readying a number of proposals for new programs to increase federal financial aid, notably a tax credit for families paying tuition.

He said Clinton will likely propose $1,500 federal tuition assistance to all students attending their first year of college, which can be renewed if students "maintain a B average and stay off drugs."

Also proposed is a $1,500 nationwide scholarship for all students in the top five percent of their graduating class in high school, Manley said.

While these proposals will be taken up by the 105th Congress which will convene after November's elections, MacMillan already said he doubts they are feasible.

"The fact of matter is, the President can talk and talk all he wants," MacMillan said. "We have never seen a legislative proposal from him. It all sounds more and more like election year rhetoric.