Kerry Struggles To Secure Liberal Base

ELECTION '96

Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) knows that the outcome of his bid for re-election next month hinges upon his ability to gain the favor of the Bay State's liberal majority.

Though securing the allegiance of these voters would be a moot point for Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 (D-Mass.) or another liberal standard-bearer, it is proving to be a difficult task for Kerry, even with his recent surge in the polls.

Kerry's difficulties come in part because he is being challenged by a popular Republican governor.

William F. Weld '66 has spent his six years in the State House building bridges both to and for state legislators and municipal officials--the backbone of the Massachusetts Democratic machine.

As a result of this effort, many Massachusetts Democrats have developed a deep sense of respect for the red-headed Republican.

"Our working relationship is pleasant and productive," says state Sen. Mark Montigny (D-New Bed-ford). "It's not like I have to hold my nose to work with the guy."

Montigny, whose district includes one of the commonwealth's notorious liberal enclaves, has much to show for his work with the governor.

Though Kerry has been an advocate for New Bedford, the Weld administration continues to pour millions of dollars into the city.

In recent months, Weld has visited New Bedford to announce grants for sewer rate relief, a major restoration of a high school, research projects for the city's ailing fishing industry and a feasibility study for a major urban aquarium.

Montigny and other New Bedford Democrats worked closely with Weld on all of these projects.

Because of Weld's record in New Bedford, Democratic Mayor Rosemary Tierney has not actively campaigned for Kerry.

She was conspicuously absent at a historic visit on Kerry's behalf by President Clinton in neighboring Fall River on Saturday.

Other Democratic politicians around the state are facing the same problem of whether to support the nominee of their party or the governor who has delivered for them.

In September, Democratic city officials from Springfield, Chicopee, Fall River, Haverhill and Revere all endorsed Weld.

Despite the dissension, state party leaders are not worried.

"There are a few that have strayed, but I think they'll regret it in the end" says John Tierney, who is running for Congress against Rep. Peter Torkildsen (R-Danvers) this fall.

Labor Relations

Democratic politicians are not the only liberals who have abandoned the Kerry ship.

While many labor organizations in the state have supported Kerry out of loyalty to the Democratic party, some renegade union leaders are looking beyond traditional commitments.

Dommenic Bozzotto, president of Local 26 of the Hotel and Restaurant Workers Union, is a life-long Democrat who endorsed Kerry in his 1990 race against James Rappaport but now expresses frustration with the senator.

"He's been in office 12 years, and the nicest way to put it is that he's been aloof," Bozzotto says.

Citing Kerry's support of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and tax hikes, Bozzotto says Kerry has lost touch with working-class Americans.

Weld's commitment to fiscal conservatism and a scaled-back government bureaucracy matches the desires of Local 26 most closely, Bozzotto says.

"They see him as a common-sense guy," Bozzotto says.

Bozzotto says he hopes the Democratic party can remold itself around the ideals of Kennedy and Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-N.Y.).

"There's no way to repay Ted Kennedy for what he's done for this union," Bozzotto says. "He's a real Democrat."

Bozzotto endorsed Weld in his 1994 gubernatorial contest against state Rep. Mark Roosevelt '78 but says the former Adams House resident is the first Republican for whom he has voted.

Members of other unions, like Bozzotto, are not enamored of Kerry, but, unlike Bozzotto, they plan to remain committed to the Democratic party.

"We're going to hold our noses and vote for Kerry and Clinton," says Dennis LiBerge, Lynn captain of Local 26 of the Carpenters Union.

And LiBerge is bitter that labor leaders like Bozzotto have crossed party lines.

"There's a snake born everyday" LiBerge says.

Changing Momentum?

A labor union, however, has provided a sign that the junior senator may be gaining momentum.

After a recent history of endorsing Republicans, the Boston Police Patrolman's Association (BPPA) last week endorsed Kerry.

The union, the largest of its kind in New England, commended not only Kerry's work on law enforcement issues but also his committment to social welfare.

"Most importantly he stood tall for our families," Richard J. Bradley, President of the BPPA said in Dorchester at a press conference announcing the endorsement.

This endorsement is one of many signs that the junior senator's campaign is no longer foundering, pundits say.

"Its beginning to come together," says former governor and 1988 Democratic presidential nominee Michael S. Dukakis, sitting in front of his typewriter in his Northeastern University office.

Dukakis attributes Kerry's momentum to his focus on education, health care and the minimum wage, where the senator has staked out liberal positions.

Kerry served as Dukakis' lieutenant governor from 1983 to 1985.

Rep. Barney Frank '61-'62 (D-Newton) agrees that Kerry's fortunes are improving.

He suggests voters are beginning to understand the national consequences of the race.

"The governor does well when people forget that we're talking about the United States Senate," the former Kirkland House resident says.

Within the past month, the race between Kerry and Weld has gained national attention.

At Harvard last month, Senior Advisor to the President George Stephanopoulos told The Crimson that even though Clinton has the Bay State locked up, he plans to spend significant energy campaigning in Massachusetts--primarily to help Kerry.

Clinton headlined a fundraiser for Kerry at FleetCenter last Saturday, and First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton visits the state later this week, campaigning for Kerry.

But others do not see the momentum shifting.

Weld campaign officials suggest that if Kerry was pulling to base together, there would be more than a trickle of Democratic endorsements flowing to the incumbent senator.

"Every time he gets it done, its news," Andy Antrobos, Weld's campaign spokesperson, says.